Looking to buy large scale traction engine project

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Steve Goodbody

Re: Looking to buy large scale traction engine project

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hello there,

If you are likely to be in the vicinity of the New Jersey Live Steamers this year then let me know - I’d be happy to demonstrate the self-same 3 inch scale Allchin pictured in GWRDrivers’s post above.

Best regards
Steve
mbassini

Post by mbassini »

I am looking to sell a complete a 3” or 4” scale showmans engine built by Harry Quick of PA in the 50’s or 60’s. It was operable some years ago when my dad used to steam up & ride around the neighborhood. Measures 61”L x 23”W x 30” tall.

If there is any interest. I will post some photos.

Thank You
apm

Post by apm »

Please post photos, probably well beyond my price range and I am really looking for the fun of building something but someone's got to be interested in it on this site.
mbassini

Post by mbassini »

I’m open to offers. See photos. If anyone interested I can provide more photos.
Attachments
IMG_3407-compressed.jpeg
IMG_3407-compressed.jpeg (745.64 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
IMG_3409-compressed.jpeg
IMG_3409-compressed.jpeg (634.99 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

SOLD!
steamer
VGC

Post by VGC »

How about this one?
"From $64,950* + GST" (NZ$)
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Like This? Mill Creek Railway in OKC. 6” STW Foden.
Attachments
Like this? Mill Creek Railway in OKC. 6” STW Foden
Like this? Mill Creek Railway in OKC. 6” STW Foden
452216F9-175A-4251-9F14-2E3620C07D55.jpeg (178.75 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
VGC

Post by VGC »

Not really.
This one is carbon neutral (in today's sense) and original size.
https://mackwell.co.nz/
apm

Post by apm »

Oktrainboys wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 pm Like This? Mill Creek Railway in OKC. 6” STW Foden.
That's the 6-in version, I think I'm going to be a little more modest and only do the 4.5 in scale version as soon as a company in England gets around to sending me the final price for the castings.

The only thing I will say is it seems that selling castings must not be that lucrative as it doesn't feel like actually selling me them is a high priority for the company.

By the way where is the 6-in Foden located in Oklahoma? Every so often work takes people from our facility out to Oklahoma City, it'd be pretty cool to see that thing one day. He did the steam traction world version where they actually machine and make all the parts for you and you just paint and put them together. But for me the machining is where all the fun is even if it takes me 10 to 15 years to build the thing it's more the experience than ever. Paying someone to do the machining would be like paying someone to have all the fun for me.

On a side note does anybody have good ways of shipping heavy castings from the UK to the USA? About the best I can find is the website parcelcompare.com pricing and it usually always winds up coming DHL overnight from the UK to the USA. It's quite amazing that the overnight shipping actually works out to be the cheapest route. I'm wondering if there are any companies that can do it for less money by aggregating things into a shipping container and sending it ocean freight. I'm not in a huge rush to get a hold of the castings.