Centering Disc on Vertical Rotary Table?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Centering Disc on Vertical Rotary Table?

Post by Bill Shields »

I would be surprised it it were not.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I was hoping I wouldn't have to lift the 12" rotary table from under the bench to up onto the Bridgeport... It used to weigh considerably less :)

Step 1
DSC04629 resized.jpg
DSC04629 resized.jpg (171.88 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Step 2
DSC04630 resized.jpg
DSC04630 resized.jpg (168.34 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

That makes sense
Thanks
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

rmac wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:09 am
GlennW wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 pm
rmac wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:52 pmThis seems to me like a more direct way to get where you need to be than aligning both the rotary table and the disk to the spindle.
The method that I described allows you to accurately zero your dials (or DRO) at the center of rotation if other features need to be accurately placed.
Good point!

From the original question, though, I got the impression that mcman56 was going to immediately remount the rotary table vertically after he had the disk centered on the rotary table. If that's true, then the relation between the rotary table and the spindle would be immediately lost, and there's no reason I can see to temporarily mount the rotary horizontally in the first place.

-- Russell Mac
Doing that makes absolutely no sense. (to me!)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
rmac

Post by rmac »

GlennW wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 am Doing that makes absolutely no sense. (to me!)
Doing what? I'm getting confused!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

rmac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:36 am
GlennW wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 am Doing that makes absolutely no sense. (to me!)
Doing what? I'm getting confused!
Setting up the rotary table/part with it horizontal and then flip it to vertical to do the work...
Glenn

Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Centering a disk on a rotary table is one thing and could be done in many ways, in any orientation, on or off a mill table.
Centering a rotary table on a mill table is entirely different and can be accomplished in many ways, depending on the orientation of the rotary table on the mill table and the need for parallelism of the axis of rotation of the rotary table to the axis of movement of the mill table.
rmac

Post by rmac »

GlennW wrote: Doing that makes absolutely no sense. (to me!)
rmac wrote: Doing what? I'm getting confused!
GlennW wrote: Setting up the rotary table/part with it horizontal and then flip it to vertical to do the work...
I agree. That's why I tried to suggest a way to center the part on the rotary table with the rotary table oriented vertically. Anyway, hopefully something in all this has given Dan the answer he needs.

-- Russell Mac
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Glenn Has an excellent method and as said , there are lots of methods
You may wish to consider a few more. All my rotary tables (TR) have accurate center holes
The one that did not was machined and reamed to size and I have a variety of plugs to fit
Set the vertical table on the mill and use a precision square between the table keyway and the face of the RT to square it.
Now have a RT plug that sticks out, like a 3/4 " drill rod maybe 3 inches . Have another 3/4" rod in the spindle , but that rod
has 1/2 diameter ( 3?8") removed like a "D" bit ( we will call it a flat ) Move Y axis until the flat is perfectly aligned with the end
of the Plug - You can use a mike and check differences until you get a .750" reading and you are there.

OR
the quick way
Accurately measure the RT Table OD and write or stamp it down - for future use
Put a Rod in the spindle OR USE the QUILL itself and run it upto the outside OD of the RT table and clamp the RT to the Mill table /reset DRO.
Move away and then move across the face of the Table exactly half of the RT Diameter+ 1/2 Quill or tool diameter...DONE reset DRO

Rich
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

That's exactly what I do Rich, using an edge finder. Detect R & L OD edges on the X-axis, and R & L OD edges on the Y-axis, divide the spread, Zero the DRO each way, and I'm done.

Something you've said made me realize that after the OD indicating process I've never indicated the center hole to see if that and the center hole and OD are concentric. Next time. If they are I'll use the center pin for indication.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

gwrdriver wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 pm That's exactly what I do Rich, using an edge finder. Detect R & L OD edges on the X-axis, and R & L OD edges on the Y-axis, divide the spread, Zero the DRO each way, and I'm done.

Something you've said made me realize that after the OD indicating process I've never indicated the center hole to see if that and the center hole and OD are concentric. Next time. If they are I'll use the center pin for indication.
and if it is not, then you can just use a boring bar to 'make it so' after you have centered the OD
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

gwrdriver wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:56 pmI've never indicated the center hole to see if that and the center hole and OD are concentric. Next time.
Then you will need to figure out if the center hole or the periphery of the table, or both, are concentric with the rotating axis of the table.
Glenn