Insert Question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Insert Question

Post by KellyJones »

I'm considering buying a tool holder and matching inserts for threading. I can buy a package of the holder with some inserts, but having been burned in the past (Grizzly) I don't want to be stuck later not being able to get replacement inserts based on the OEM's part number system. I want to be able to order inserts using the standard codes.

I have found some good information on carbide insert identification codes, but nothing on the hole diameters in the inserts. I understand how the inscribed circle (along with the basic shape) will ensure a particular insert will fit a particular tool holder, but what of the pin diameter? Are the holes all the same diameter for a given IC? There seems to be no information on that. I would hate to buy inserts only to find the hole is too small (or too large) for my holder.

Thanks
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
knifemaker3

Re: Insert Question

Post by knifemaker3 »

If you are ordering the correct inserts for your tool holder there won't be a problem. I've ordered inserts from multiple sources and never had a problem
liveaboard

Re: Insert Question

Post by liveaboard »

Whatever you're looking at buying, google the number of the insert that comes with it.
If you get a lot of results with competitive pricing, then you know you're looking at a common type.

I get inserts in both 55 and 60 degrees for imperial or metric use.
Threading with a factory made carbide insert is MUCH easier for an inexpert (like me) machinist than trying to grind a tool accurately by hand.