Double ball joint design

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Double ball joint design

Post by jcfx »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:51 am
This is why, if read fully, I suggested chamfer the hole and press the ball bearing down into the hole ..this deforms the aluminum around the hole and creates surface area contact
I'll have to give that a try, I guess with a straight hole it would work as well.
hobgobbln wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:48 am For an animation setup or camera arm like what Rob made I can see how the double bolt would be beneficial. In my head it would let you adjust the grip of each ball separately within reason. For what I'm doing I think I'll stick to a single large bolt in the center with thick plates to make clamping easier since I'll be holding the far end in my other hand. I will give it a try if the single doesn't grab hard enough though.
It's the opposite, in animation you want to be able to move the joint, I suggested a double bolt because you
don't want the work to move once positioned.
In lieu of bolts you could use adjustable handles, no wrench or rachet needed - https://www.mcmaster.com/handles/adjustable-handles-6/
hobgobbln

Re: Double ball joint design

Post by hobgobbln »

jcfx wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 pm In lieu of bolts you could use adjustable handles
I'm going to start with cap screws to keep the costs down, but that's what I had planned on using too. I ordered some 6061 for the plates and 1/2" steel hex for the connecting bars today. I've got to put an order in with McMaster in the next few days anyway so I'll order the threaded balls at the same time. With any luck I'll have some made by the middle of next week.