Mitutoyo Digital Caliper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Mitutoyo Digital Caliper

Post by seal killer »

All--

My almost-no-name digital caliper served me faithfully for well over a decade. It bit the dust. I suspect cutting fluid killed it. I like to use a digital caliper for roughing in. For closer work I use manual mics.

I replaced it with this Mitutoyo.

Mitutoyo.jpg
Mitutoyo.jpg (211.59 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

I like it so far.

--Bill
You are what you write.
armscor 1

Re: Mitutoyo Digital Caliper

Post by armscor 1 »

My 1995 6" Mitutoyo caliper is still going strong.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Those coolant proof Mits are wonderful! Been using mine wet for the last 12 years...you won't be disappointed Bill!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

After dead batteries and one that require constant zero (it comes to life with 0.439) I switched to vernier type. I made a living in electronic but I am not a fan of commercial electronic.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
nessism

Post by nessism »

Those calipers look wonderful.

I use Mitutoyo calipers both at home and at work. Those coolant proof jobbies look particularly nice.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

My only caliper is an analog model (dial). A caliper is to precision machining as a five-pound brick maul is to watchmaking. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steggy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:39 pm My only caliper is an analog model (dial). A caliper is to precision machining as a five-pound brick maul is to watchmaking. :D
I find my Mitutoyo digital calipers to be far more useful than your entertaining comparison.
And I know when to switch to my micrometers.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:03 am
Steggy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:39 pm My only caliper is an analog model (dial). A caliper is to precision machining as a five-pound brick maul is to watchmaking. :D
I find my Mitutoyo digital calipers to be far more useful than your entertaining comparison.
And I know when to switch to my micrometers.
RussN
I was exaggerating, of course. If I can tolerate a couple of thousandths either way and am pressed for time, I’ll grab the caliper first. However, the mike is always close by.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Are you folk implying that my paper tailor's tape measure is not good enough for machining roller bearing races?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Charles T. McCullough wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:27 am Are you folk implying that my paper tailor's tape measure is not good enough for machining roller bearing races?
It depends. Is it traceable to the National Bureau of Standards? :D
Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Steggy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:21 pm
Charles T. McCullough wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:27 am Are you folk implying that my paper tailor's tape measure is not good enough for machining roller bearing races?
It depends. Is it traceable to the National Bureau of Standards? :D
Dunno 'bout traceability, but I figure the little strip of elastic every 6-inches (a boon to selling suits when you can tell the client they have lost weight!) might be useful to meet just about any accuracy when machining a part.
Seriously... and I do mean I am serious here... how come I can't find a quality LEFT-HANDED caliper? I have one that was advertised as made of "Space-age Plastic" and it is... well, made of "plastic". I would seriously like a Starrett quality LEFT-HANDED caliper. I have seen some that have a flip up display that can be used "left-handed" but I question the quality (albeit of obvious better quality than the "Space-age Plastic" one!).
And a LEFT-HANDED machinist rule! Have you ever watched someone try to measure the depth of a step if the step 'up' is on the right? They put the rule in the space with the "6" end against the step... well that's no good, you have to do mental gymnastics to calculate in hundredths the remainder of the measured value subtracted from 6.0... so they flip the rule over... that's no good, it is still mental gymnastics calculating in 64ths. So they flip the rule end for end to get the "0" end against the step... but that's no good, now the numbers are upside-down making it hard to read, so they flip it over again... that's no good, the numbers are still upside-down. How about an ambidextrous rule with "0" at the left end for Right-handed measuring and flip it over where the "0" is at the right end for Left-handed measuring.
And before you make any comments about us left-handed people... remember if each side of the body is controlled by the opposite side of the brain, then only us left-handed people are in our right minds!
RSG

Post by RSG »

I'm in your movie Charles :lol: as a "left hand" enthusiast! 8)
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.