We are back!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dorin

Re: We are back!

Post by dorin »

My motto: “If it ain’t broke, fix it anyway!”
Or break it so you can fix it!! :D
www.chaski.com
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I am reminded of a Dilbert cartoon in which they were around a conference table talking about upgrading the software. One of the guys says they will completely change the user interface. The other says it works well, why do that? The first says, "Because we can."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

dorin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:57 pmOr break it so you can fix it!! :D

Usta do that a lot back in my drag racing days. Of course, the breakage wasn’t intentional...
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:23 pm I am reminded of a Dilbert cartoon in which they were around a conference table talking about upgrading the software. One of the guys says they will completely change the user interface. The other says it works well, why do that? The first says, "Because we can."

Sounds like a conference at Micro$oft.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

The more they improve the plumbing .....the easier it is to stop up the drain
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Steggy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:17 am Sounds like a conference at Micro$oft.

Don't get me started. I was a Word user from V.2 back about 1989 when I was writing a textbook. They were getting sued over V.3 because it just flat out didn't work. I managed to get my files back to V.2 until they fixed V.3, which was still worse than V.2. And, of course, every version since takes the features a writer of average documents uses most often and makes them harder to access. Now that they have gone to a subscription model and I'm no longer writing anything more than complaints like this on the net, I have left all their software behind and sleep much better.

As a friend of mine says, there are no computer upgrades. They are all downgrades.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So you are a WordStar fan?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 pm So you are a WordStar fan?
TextEdit. Sometimes Bean, rarely Pages. On a Mac.

My dad was a screen writer (wrote and directed the first soap opera in TV history — Faraway Hill, 1946.) and in the 1980s he had a CPM machine, all command-line, and I think he may have been using an early version of WordStar. He eventually moved to an MS-DOS system that was still command-line. I remember showing him my new Mac 512, which I bought to write the textbook, and that it had a mouse. He picked up the mouse and waived it around in the air to test it out. No, Dad, you move it on the table. (I later upgraded that Mac with a DIY solder-on chip to a whopping 1 MB.) When Dad died he left a bunch of floppies behind but we had no way to see what was on them. I tried to get help from the university tech folks but they said we'd need a computer with that OS, which no one had any more.

The best word processor I ever used, on which I wrote my second book, is pictured below. It has survived power failures, shortages of RAM, and numerous brainware upgrades. It's not going away — some day I may need it again. And I also have a pica pole and my Dad's editing scissors, which have longer blades, from the era when "cut and paste" was meant literally.

Underwood #5, ca. 1923
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG (153.58 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

But can you get a ribbon for it? A bigger challenge than one might think.

I also have my dad's long scissors from when I watched mom type and the two of them cut and rubber cement his boiler manual together onto sheets of typing paper laying out on the living room floor.

He personally drove it to mcgraw hill and handed it to the editor.

Harry Winston he was not
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pasting..... when I worked for a newspaper the sports editor wrote his stories on the long rolls from the teletype machine so he didn't have to feed single sheets into his typewriter.

Amazon, $9.99. I've still got three new ribbons wrapped up in the roll-top desk drawer. And there is an outfit in Berkeley that will overhaul the machine if needed.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

dorin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:48 pmSome of the styles were no longer available.

Before, the posts were on the right and information about the poster was on the left. Now it’s reversed. Unfortunately, I’m nearly blind in the left eye, which complicates reading. Any way to reverse the layout?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steggy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am
dorin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:48 pmSome of the styles were no longer available.
Before, the posts were on the right and information about the poster was on the left. Now it’s reversed. Unfortunately, I’m nearly blind in the left eye, which complicates reading. Any way to reverse the layout?
Hmmm. Before? Do you mean before the update that was performed last week? If so, the layout hasn't changed with Allan style subsilver, but it's as you described. Mike made it clear that many of the board type options had been eliminated. If, by chance, you know which one you had previously and it served your needs, please make mention on the board so Mike can do a search to see if it's available. He may be willing to add it if it's needed for good reason. Please understand I am not speaking for him. He would make the decision.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.