Brazed carbide cutting tool shank material

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wolfgang

Re: Brazed carbide cutting tool shank material

Post by Wolfgang »

Hardened steel tools are nice and are certainly wear and abuse resistant.

However, the hardening will not contribute to the stiffness or vibration resistance of that tool.

All common steels have a modulus of elasticity (Young's modulus or 'E') of very close to 30 million psi. It does not matter what the steel's alloy or hardness / strength is; E is always very close to 30 million psi.

This E determines the amount of deflection of a beam under load. Considering that a lathe turning tool is, in effect, a cantilever beam, its deflection under load is the same for any type of steel or its strength / hardness.

However, the strength / hardness of the steel will determine the AMOUNT of deflection that beam can withstand without PERMANENT deformation. Think of leaf springs which will deflect a lot without permanent deformation; compare this to an equally sized mild steel bar, say 1020, 1040, etc.

In other words, within the elastic limit of the steel, the deformation is the same regardless of alloy or strength / hardness.

Consequently, any old crappy mystery steel will suffice as shanks for brazed or insert tooling.

If you need a boring bar that is stiffer than steel, a material with greater E is required. Tungsten carbide is one such material, synthetic diamond is another.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I suspect You are right! :)
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Used quite a few solid WC boring bars in my lifetime, but never seen a synthetic diamond mount.

PCD plated cutting surfaces -> yes, mounts?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

These are the carbide tips from the old tool shanks I mentioned. After being used for a good while there is no mushrooming from being clamped in a square tool post on a 2A warner Swayey, not a small lathe.
IMG_20230120_165229_MP.jpg
IMG_20230120_165247_MP.jpg
I am going to start taking the pictures sideways.