One Last Shorty

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: One Last Shorty

Post by ccvstmr »

Steggy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:40 pm
Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am Since you are not building an exact model of a specific car, you can do it however you want to and nobody can tell you that you did it wrong.
My typical response to anyone who questions the accuracy of a model, especially one with a lot of complex detail, is “When will we be seeing your build?”

I’ve never seen any of the prototype “shorties” in the flesh, so I have no clue as to how accurately Carl has modeled them. However, as the Mexicans would say, ¡No muy importante, amigo mío! What are important are appearance and craftsmanship, which having seen these cars up close and personal, I can say is on another level.

BTW, I wonder how they’d look hooked to my F-unit? :D Totally period-incorrect, most likely. :?
Steggy...spot on there. Haven't had to use that "well show me your build" response...YET! Try to welcome constructive criticism. I continue to look for ways to improve my model building. There's lots of good builders out there with LOTS of great ideas. Goes to show there's more than one way to get from Point A to Point B. Criticism and nit-pickers...don't have much tolerance for that. In particular, when I know those persons haven't built anything to share.

Prototype info? Newsflash...have never seen the shorties in the flesh either. Was VERY fortunate to connect with persons that have first hand knowledge and access to the equipment to spare me the 2000 mile trip. Had photos and line drawings to help scale the cars. Would still like to take all the shorties out to Jamestown ,CA someday. Think it would be a hoot to get photos of the mini-shorties in front of the maxi-shorties!

As for hauling around the shorties behind your F unit? Put enough cars between the engineer and the shorties and by the time the back of the train goes by, would have gone back far enough in time to NOT notice the difference. Besides, there's an excuse for everything...you're simply hauling the museum equipment to another location. How's that? Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS - Railing looks good...now, take it apart!

As the title for this entry states...got the railing and gates built and installed. Made sure all the latches and catches were in "good working order". What was left to do? Took the entire railing apart. One reason...to clean up the parts individually. Kind of difficult to clean the balusters when they were "nested" the way they were. Another reason...wanted to remove the tooling marks and generally prepare all the railing parts to "strut their stuff" and "show off" their shine. And believe me...the railing came apart a lot faster than it went together.

As the disassembly was taking place, kept the parts 'n pieces grouped together and organized.

Here we have the brake lever, brake lever stops, a spacer and a collar to secure the lever staff.

xDSC02832.JPG
xDSC02832.JPG (96.4 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Next, here's the rear railing balusters, railing, the cross tie rods, latches and catches, the posts and all of the brass balls. As the balusters were removed in sections, used a Dremel engraving pencil to number each of the balusters sequentially...in a location not readily visible. Wanted to make sure balusters would go back in the same order for the final assembly.

xDSC02837.JPG
xDSC02837.JPG (155.58 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Easiest way to hold the balls was to make a bar and screw the balls with their respective threaded mounting stems in place.

IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7080.JPG (256.73 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Gates were dismantled as well....frames, balusters, cross tie rods, hinges, gate posts and other misc. hardware.

xDSC02838.JPG
xDSC02838.JPG (137.86 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Lastly, would send the (2) diamond door tread plates out for the same attention as the rest of the railing. After all, these were ALL the things guests of the company prez would see when invited to go along for a ride.

xDSC02825.JPG
xDSC02825.JPG (161.44 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Next time, we'll take all the parts 'n pieces and put it back together...hopefully for the last time. Don't stay away too long. Carl B.
partime

Post by partime »

Wonderful detail Carl! Thanks for sharing your progress.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And how many parts in total???
RussN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Criticism and nit-pickers...don't have much tolerance for that. In particular, when I know those persons haven't built anything to share.
I've found most of the nit-pickers that I've run into are from the model railroad world. Since their O scale brass model, which they bought, has all these details, and the correct domes, and the correct hand rail and window placement, and the correct font and size on the lettering... they just can't understand why your 1/8th scale model, which you built, doesn't have that same level of detail on it.

I've had to use a similar line to the above before. I told someone who was trying to tell me that something wasn't 'correct': "well when you build yours you can build it the correct way."

We can't all be Jack.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

partime wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:09 pm Wonderful detail Carl! Thanks for sharing your progress.
Partime...thanks for noticing. As for the sharing...you're most welcome!

Russ...if you have to ask...there's not quite 120 parts involved in this rear-end decoration. But who's counting, right? They all came at the rate of enjoyment. Now, don't go away...you're about to get a real eye-opener here!

Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:48 am
Criticism and nit-pickers...don't have much tolerance for that. In particular, when I know those persons haven't built anything to share.
I've found most of the nit-pickers that I've run into are from the model railroad world. Since their O scale brass model, which they bought, has all these details, and the correct domes, and the correct hand rail and window placement, and the correct font and size on the lettering... they just can't understand why your 1/8th scale model, which you built, doesn't have that same level of detail on it.

I've had to use a similar line to the above before. I told someone who was trying to tell me that something wasn't 'correct': "well when you build yours you can build it the correct way."

We can't all be Jack.
Pontiacguy...you're so right! Next time one of those O-gaugers speaks up...ask him how much his brass model cost? Tell him how much an injector costs or even a valve. Then add...your model didn't fall out of a foam rubber lined box either. After that, ask the O-gauger if he can ride on his recent purchase? Safe bet he can't ride his model. :roll:

No doubt, our hobby takes a bit of dedication and patience to take raw materials and turn them into a working model. Shoot...just purchased 3 sheets of plywood (2-1/2" and 1-3/4") to make train rack boards. Total cost out the door was $80! I think the world has gone crazy. Three years ago the same materials would have cost 1/2 that amount. Haven't heard about any forests going on strike for better pay or benefits! Someone is making out. Guess this is the new norm and cost of our hobby. :x

Thanks for your post. Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS - Railing Reassembly

Well, the brass railing was nice. Turned out better than I expected, but something was missing. The railing didn't have quite the shine, sheen and pizzazz I was looking for from the start. After photographing, itemizing and cataloging all of the parts 'n pieces...packed it all up and sent them off to a guy Honest Dave knows...and let him perform his handy-work.

Realize too, the Rutland 10-wheeler was decorated with stainless steel boiler bands and other stainless components. Why? The original builder, the late Pete Bialecki, worked for Nabisco food products. Had an available source of stainless steel materials. He did this because he didn't want to spend his steaming bay time polishing locomotive brass (can't say I blame him). Would rather be steaming than nursing a sore elbow.

Figured as long as there was silver-ish stainless steel at the front of the train and car #7 was decorated with silver-ish vinyl graphics...the rear railing deserved the same consideration. As such, the parts were sent out to be nickel-plated! :shock: Surprised nobody figured this out. Oh well.

When the parts finally came back, pulled out the rear platform observation deck mock up and started to put the railing back together. The nickel-silver plated parts looked great. Soon found out, fingerprints show up easily.

So, the posts were set in place along with the top railing and all of the now, nickel-plated brass balls.

IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7417.JPG (229.56 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

When the railing was dismantled, used a Dremel engraving tool to "write" a railing position identifier on each baluster. On some balusters, must not have engraved the ID well enough and the engraving was plated over. So step #1 for this part was to organize the balusters in the (7) different baluster groups: 5 groups for the railing and 2 groups for the gates.

IMG_7418.JPG
IMG_7418.JPG (395.78 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Next photo, can just make out the engraving on the balusters. Had to use a magnifying glass to read whatever part of the ID was visible.

IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7422.JPG (224.93 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

During the original building process, noticed if there was too much tension between the balusters, the long surfaces would bow inward. Was almost like trying to "null" out any excess tension. Figured one solution to this was to "paint" a stripe of contact cement down the adjacent long baluster surfaces. Made a little railing mock up to hold the balusters while the contact cement dried. Then, could push the balusters together. Time will tell how good an idea this was.

IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG (216.92 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

When all the balusters were back in place on the cross rods...and there were no leftover parts sitting on the bench...this is what became of all this...

IMG_7426.JPG
IMG_7426.JPG (341.78 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Here's a close-up of the brake lever. A nice little add-on feature for the back of the train for sure!

IMG_7430.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG (246.88 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Now that the railing is "out of the box" and before I give you a view of the full treatment, have a couple more details to describe...and still related to the rear observation deck. I shall return! Carl B.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Carl:
You continue to be such a TEASE! Gorgeous work to be proud of.
The nickel plated railings are the "End All", literally.
Same reason i nickel plated the main and connecting rods on my Ten Wheeler.
Zero maintenance; just wipe down as desired. And still look good after 20 years.

When I encounter a critical "rivet-counter" commenting on the "incorrectness" of some parts of the locomotives I make, my favorite retort is to suggest they make the "correct" replacement items for me. That usually ends their comments. :lol:

I really enjoy your build reports. Inspirational.
Thanks.
RussN
Andy R

nickel plated railings

Post by Andy R »

Lovely. Lovely. Absolutely Lovely.
Thank you for sharing the process.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

NP317 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:39 am Carl:
You continue to be such a TEASE! Gorgeous work to be proud of.
The nickel plated railings are the "End All", literally.

RussN
Well Russ...you KNOW I had to leave the best part until the end was near! Wanted to share that "WOW" moment with the cast of 1000's here in Chaski-land!
Andy R wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:38 pm Lovely. Lovely. Absolutely Lovely.
Thank you for sharing the process.
Andy...THANK YOU! Glad you're enjoying this journey.

Carl B.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

DETAILS-Wicking up the view from the rear

Well fellers...before providing the "Full Monty" of car #7's rear end observation deck, had a couple more details to share. These are all part of what will be...the final rear end (ahem) "reveal".

After looking at many of the rear end observation car photos that Peasleecreek sent over, saw an item on the rear decks and just HAD to see if I could recreate that. What was that item? Rear end chair seating! Got on line, and lo 'n behold after some searching, found someone selling wicker chairs in a size that would be somewhat "fitting" for the space available. Now, had to work out how these would be mounted.

With the chairs in-hand, needed a way to mount these. Didn't want the chairs bouncing around the rear deck while the train was rock'in and a roll'in down the track. Went to pull an LED light bar flashlight off a cabinet...and the adhesive holding one of the light bar magnets came loose. AHA! Will use magnets and at least TRY to hold the chairs in position. Would attach a couple steel fender washers to the rear deck. These were drilled and countersunk for the flat head mounting screws. Sand blasted the washers and painted them satin black.

Grabbed an old broom handle stuck up between the basement ceiling joists. Cut a couple of pieces to length so the mount would be just short of the fender washers (avoid scratching the paint finish). Milled the top ends to fit around the chair underside cross braces.

IMG_7116.JPG
IMG_7116.JPG (226.82 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

The bottom side of the broom handles were chucked up in the lathe and a shallow recess cut for the thin magnet. Some thin 1/4" brass flat stock was used to wrap over the chair cross braces to hold the entire magnet mount to the chair. The magnet holder and retaining strap were painted satin black. When the paint was dry, "glued" the thin magnets in place with automotive GOOP contact adhesive and installed the retaining straps with a couple small screws.

IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG (237.84 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

The steel fender washers were positioned on the deck and screwed in place. Touched up the brass flat head screws with some paint.

IMG_7127.JPG
IMG_7127.JPG (276.21 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

While the last of the paint was drying for those washers, sprayed the wicker chairs with some Minwax indoor/outdoor polyurethane satin clear coat. Wicker sitting out in the elements...even when stored in a car barn...would tend to absorb moisture. Hopefully, the clear coating would seal the wicker and prevent that. When the clear spray had dried, the chairs now had a light golden brown color. Looked nice...at least I thought so.

IMG_7138.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG (301.79 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

And now, how was the rear observation deck "look" going to turn out? See for yourself. Worked on this (obviously) before the rear railing and all was sent out for nickle-plating.

IMG_7070.JPG
IMG_7070.JPG (305.13 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

Okay, with the rear seating out of the way...have ONE more item to share. Will get to that next time. Carl B.