Fairbanks Morse Diesel components in 1/8th scale?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

Fairbanks Morse Diesel components in 1/8th scale?

Post by PRR5406 »

I understand there was a company building FM Diesel locomotive kits or parts in 1/8th scale, back a couple of decades ago. I am told they folded, for whatever reason. I am wondering about production, trucks, units sold, etc. The only other FM locomotives I've seen in hernia gauge have been scratch-built by hobbyists. I've seen one C-Liner cab design in Canada, and know of a brilliant Trainmaster in Michigan. You input?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
8thscale

Re: Fairbanks Morse Diesel components in 1/8th scale?

Post by 8thscale »

Jack at Rail Systems built two to my knowledge. They were located in Oregon. Both are gas hydraulic. He typically built to 1.6 scale as the Briggs/Stratton V-twin 16hp gas engine mounted in the cab.
- Southern Pacific Trainmaster H24-66 home track at LALS. This has electronic control and a 'calf' for the engineer to ride.
- Virginian H16-44 that I own, delivered in 2000. It was purchased w/ electronic control as well but proved unreliable due to heat/electronics mounting and was converted to manual stick control. It would be considered a late model unit as the body style matched the trainmaster.

The Michigan Central? H24-66 is a beautiful loco. It attended one of the early Triennials. That loco was capable of remote operation as I recall.
I'll have to dig out some photos!
Dave
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Yes, please for photos. FM is so under-represented in our hobby, yet fondly remembered amongst railfans. Personally, I'd like to see detail shots of your control system, the trucks, the cab and carbody. Gee, I guess that's everything, huh?
Thanks for responding!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

What I was impressed about the MC loco was the reason for picking it. That shape gave Bill the most room for motor and batteries of any of the other designs around. Big and boxy I'm trying to remember if it was 4 or 6 batteries in there. It has power for a full day of work and change to spare. Also a nice touch was the emergency stop on the loco. One of the stack could be pulled out or pushed down and it would cut the battery circuit. A very nice feature for any RC controlled loco.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

I forgot about one other unit ... Quentin had one built by Rail Systems as well.

Bill's is by far the most detailed until I have seen! As mentioned he operated it remotely so no engineer car.
Attachments
Quentin Breen Trainmaster
Quentin Breen Trainmaster
Bill Hayes(?) Trainmaser
Bill Hayes(?) Trainmaser
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

A couple more!
Attachments
at Train Mountain 2003
at Train Mountain 2003
at LALS May 2012
at LALS May 2012
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

These are wonderful models! Possibly the only H24-66 engines in 1/8th?
Thank you for posting them!
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Latest LS&ORR has a picture of a Wabash trainmaster locomotive from Illinois. No discussion or details. Article title is "The Steve Dill Locomotive Works".

Dave
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Steve did most of the running gear but the guy really building it did the body and paint work. Steve has gotten out of the hobby and sold all his machines and tools and I don't recall what happened to the truck patterns, they were just the outer facade, much easier to just fabricate and they could be functional as well. The guy that built the trainmaster sold it to a member of ILS several years ago.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Allow me to put it before you folks, do you think there is interest enough to develop a line of FM Diesel locomotive trucks and/or body components? Lots of people build EMD, ALCO, and GE models. Do people miss the H16-44 enough to warrant commercial availability?