Welding after getting a pacemaker

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Welding after getting a pacemaker

Post by NP317 »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:23 pm Wow; real info!
Even though I don't need a pacemaker (yet), I find all of that interesting.
Same reaction with me.
I worked in the acute cardiac medical electronics world for 22 years.
Helped develop one of the first AEDs (automated external defibrillators).
Improvements continue all the time.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:28 pmHelped develop one of the first AEDs (automated external defibrillators).

I’m shocked to learn that.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

We've all made light of it, but actually the original question is a serious one.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes it is...ani I would defer to whatever the manufacturer of the pacemaker has to say.

If they advise caution, it matters not what anyone else says, since.....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I much appreciate the cautions that have been carefully expressed. They match my thinking (I'm a retired radar data processing engineer). But I also asked my doctor about the limitations. The answer was somewhat different. He and his NP stated they had called Boston Scientific (the manufacturer) and I should refrain both skiing and welding for 2 months after the surgery. I actually think the advice I got on this site might be more valid than what I got from my doctor. Some how I expect he was giving advice relative to falling and therefore wanted sufficient healing time. I can't see me falling just because I was welding (I use to own the ski mountain and did some welding while up on top of a lift tower but that was in bygone times). As a skier I am an expert and have not fallen when I was skiing except while bringing a patient down the mountain on very difficult terrain. Ski Patrolling is also something that happened in bygone times. As for radio interference while welding I just don't know. I fully agree it would be hard to get good penetration while skiing but I would think the risk of getting burn holes in my expensive parka would likely prohibit skiing while welding. But the idea of a Faraday Chest Protector is intriguing. Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Tom
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BUT BUT BUT...you would either require a very long set of welding leads, or a machine on skids that you can drag along behind you like you would an injured human....

which would then require an assistant or 4 to play 'tag line' to keep the lot from running into you from behind.... :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.