Bostar BXA Quick Change Tool Post for my ENCO 13/40 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Odyknuck

Bostar BXA Quick Change Tool Post for my ENCO 13/40 Lathe

Post by Odyknuck »

So I got my tool post in today and it looks pretty decent. I bought this one as it has the standard 5/8" attachment's and also 2 - 3/4" attachments. I will need to mill the "T" nut to fit my lathe yet. One question I have is that there are 2 wedges on the tool post however you can only use one attachment at a time. Is this normal? Kind of defeats the purpose I would think!
Attachments
TPset.jpg
TP.jpg
Harold_V

Re: Bostar BXA Quick Change Tool Post for my ENCO 13/40 Lathe

Post by Harold_V »

It would be highly unusual for two holders to be needed at the same time.

The reason there's two sets of ways is that's how one does internal work as opposed to external work. The tool is generally applied (approximately) parallel with the spindle centerline for internal work, while it's applied at a right angle for external work. The twin sets of dovetails allow that to happen.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ok, I will buy that however can you not simply rotate the tool post to either position like a standard unit?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Odyknuck wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:24 pm Ok, I will buy that however can you not simply rotate the tool post to either position like a standard unit?
Surely you can understand that it's common for work pieces to require both internal and external machining!

You could do as you suggested, but if you hope to use a DRO or dial settings for multiple part machining, you don't have that option at your disposal.

The whole idea behind quick change, as well as square tool posts, is to allow for dial settings so you're not constantly trying to determine the tool orientation as it relates to the part being machined. If you intend to turn the post with each application, why not save the money one would spend on the quick change and stick with the lantern toolpost? You will have effectively defeated the purpose for which any other type of tool holder was made, the only obvious advantage then being that the tool would be on center.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ah ok, I see what you are saying. I'm just not accustomed to using that concept lol.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

FWIW

i square the post to the centerline so that my cutoff and threading tools are always true, and boring bars inline as needed.

All other tools are 'cocked' in the holders as needed to provide clearance.

It's a rare day when I loosen the nut in the center -> and I rarely move the compound from 29 deg.

Start purchasing holders. All BXA should interchange.

CDCO is a good supplier. I have caught sales where holders were under $20 each. Shars another supplier.

I prefer to purchase USA but the $ of USA made holders would give me a 3rd stroke..

As long as the holder actually fits the dovetail...exact accuracy from one holder to another is not critical.

If you get a clunker holder that won't fit, just sent it back for a replacement. I have a couple that are snug going but usable.

Biggest difference between holders is the setscrews that hold the tools. They range from bad to worse. Get a box of USA made setscrews and throw all the stock ones away...

Unless you have a box of square head screws around
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

All good information Bill, thanks. This is my first quick change tool post purchase. For many years I wanted one however as little as the lathe got used, I could not justify the cost. The tool post I have on the lathe now has served me well however is showing its age with stiff, mushroomed and/or stripped hold down screws. I see me using the lathe a lot more building the Mikado, so it was time. I saved the CDCO website. I bought this one off Ebay.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

They all probably come from the same place in PRC.

Phase II is another supplier.

I LOVE my two ALORIS BXA holders ( one of which I purchased from Boris himself at a tool show:when he was just getting started), the youngest of which is 45:years old...but cannot justify mortgaging the house to purchase another
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I totally agree. For a production shop yes, for a hobby shop, no way. My local machine tool store quoted me about 2 grand for an Aloris and 1400 for a Phase 2. I just laughed and left lol.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:mrgreen:
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I agree with what Bill and others have offered.

Once I got my QCTP mounted on the carriage, I set up each tool+holder so the cutting edges were at vertical center or a hair lower.
Now I can simply remove one tool + holder and mount the next set without needing to make changes in adjustment.
"Quick Change Tool Post."
As Harold pointed out, this allows fluid use of the dials or a DRO for measurements.

I also make sure to keep all the mating surfaces of the post and the holders judiciously clean! Otherwise accuracy suffers.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

It has become obvious to me that the only thing I knew about QCTP's was they keep the tools centered and repeatable. Armed with all this new information, wish I would have bought the QCTP 20 years ago. Of course, back then they were put of my price range. That is why I am here as you can teach an old dog new tricks lol.

Thanks much guys.
Last edited by Odyknuck on Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.