Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by Bill Shields »

You really DO need to learn to single point threads.

It is an invaluable skill on the shop floor.

Right up there with knowing how to grind the tool with which to perform the operation.

It is just a process, learned step by step
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Bill, these shafts are the first time in many years that I have had the need for single pointing threads. It is a good skill set to have and I should know how to do it however with a CNC machine shop at my disposal, it's not high on the priority list. My focus is on getting this Locomotive done.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Well, the runout is better than the original cross slides however still out .005 to .008. At this point I need to make a shaft with just the threaded end to verify the tapped hole in the cross slides are parallel. If so, then proceed to make new shafts. No point making them complete without knowing that first.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There are times when it is quicker to just fire up the manual lathe... :mrgreen:
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ha Ha good one Bill, nice dig
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ok Bill, you win. I ordered a carbide threading tool holder and 60 degree cutters. I guess I am going to learn to single point.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steve:
I remember that you were looking for injector starting valves, and more.
I just saw a posting here on Chaski that Dave Bortz (SuperScale) has them in stock, plus many more valves and goodies.
Time to send him an I-Message.
Cheers,
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:mrgreen: Why don't you use hss threading tool?

Hand cutting with carbide is dodgy because of the speeds needed.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:43 am :mrgreen: Why don't you use hss threading tool?
While I shouldn't speak for the OP, I suspect his reason for using carbide is universal. It has been my experience that many choose to use insert tooling in an effort to avoid the learning curve of sharpening proper turning tools. I can think of NO greater injustice where operating a lathe is concerned, especially when the machine in use is not suited for (general) carbide use. So long as one lacks the required skill to grind proper cutting edges, they will be held captive. The power of being able to fashion a needed tool sets one free.

Bottom line here is that you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. If one chooses to use dodges in order to avoid learning proper procedures, endless failures can be expected. The drunken thread created by a die is just one of many examples, each of which contributes to a poorly operating engine, assuming it operates at all.

Just sayin', you understand. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

True enough -> and I am a notoriously bad cutter grinder, but do not own a carbide threading tool

with the fine threads up against shoulders many of us use, being able to grind a very small threading tool is essential without breaking the bank buying inserts.

I cannot even see the tip on some of my threading tools without a magnifier (getting old)
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I am glad that you guys are proficient at grinding and maintaining HSS Cutters. I get it, if I spend the last 40 years using and grinding HSS I would be too. I have dabbled in it here and there however at this stage of my life, I have no desire to walk down that rabbit hole. I am just an amateur Hobbyist Machinist and prefer the simplicity of Carbide. Good threads are cut on low speed home Lathes with Carbide every day, just saying.

Well, gotta take a break as I had another stint put in my heart today! Now I have a 6 pack lol.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

NP317 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:58 pm Steve:
I remember that you were looking for injector starting valves, and more.
I just saw a posting here on Chaski that Dave Bortz (SuperScale) has them in stock, plus many more valves and goodies.
Time to send him an I-Message.
Cheers,
RussN
Russ, as much as I like Superscale jewelry, it's a little too expensive for me. :shock: