Pennsy 4396 under steam.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

Pennsy 4396 under steam.

Post by PRR5406 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRbN7rP-sWw

My video of Pennsy Decapod 4396 at Eagle Point Railroad, Chattanooga. She's every bit the locomotive you'd hope to
see mounting Horseshoe Curve. Beautiful engine is owned by W.A. Morrison.
I believe this is the only PRR "Hippo" in live steam. Comments welcomed, of course.
DSC_7673reduced.jpg
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Berkman

Re: Pennsy 4396 under steam.

Post by Berkman »

Very cool!

I think Godshall did a lot of work on this.

There is another PRR 2-10-0 on the west coast built by David Lazarus
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Very nice.

The giant leaves on the track are the only giveaway
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Dick,

Great video! Great to see Andy steaming the 4396. I saw this engine over 20 years ago in the midst of a rebuild at Kenny King's railroad near Latrobe, PA. She was in pieces but she looks fabulous now. What does he fire her with? Coal?

Thanks for sharing,

Rob Gardner
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Hey Rob! If you have any pictures of her in the rebuild stage, please send them to me at my private email addy. I'm writing a piece about the locomotive to submit the PRR T&HS journal. Yes, she is most definitely coal fired. Andy has access to considerable Pocahontas coal, and it takes only a little fire of stick wood to get that particular coal going. When I was with him, we 100 psi of pressure in about 60 minutes. Considering the size of the boiler, that's remarkable. She runs well at 120 psi.
During the rebuild in 2004, it was determined the crown sheet needed to be lowered. My references say Joe Mastrorocco was chiefly involved in rebuilding the original boiler. As most PRR live steamers know, Joe constructed the live steam Pennsy Q2 which runs at Mill Creek. Wayne Godschall's shop was also involved.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Was thinking at one time this engine had some issues with blow-by due to the I believe teflon rings, but likely that's been addressed. Isn't there also a LE old northern that runs at EPRR?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There is an old LE northern there that is in the book Master Railroad Builder. It came from Illinois. It has had a lot of work done to it, and I do believe it is operational. It's basically a UP FEF with a centipede tender. I've personally never seen it run, but I have heard from several over there that it does and has run.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Not so much blow-by, but the teflon rings will grab the piston sleeves after she's seen some service. Apparently the sleeve are brass and that's a problem. I am told it is being addressed this winter.
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Just finished earlier this year, and I had a chance to speak with Andy also earlier and informed him his engine now has a friend..😊
Attachments
52430D8A-342B-4E20-A788-4A25C202B326.jpeg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

The loco at LALS is great looking as well! didn't you also build Richard's US 1919 pacific?
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

PM sent. What is this locomotive's number?
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Hi berkman, yes I did his Pacific. Roger Goldman provided the running chassis and the boiler and other parts to the locomotive, the tender I had Jeff Dute
Build the tank section for me, I did the frame. And basically put it all together.

Hi Dick / PRR5406, I got your PM and the best way is to follow me on my locomotive Facebook page: Juniata West / model live steam shop.
I’m happy to answer all your questions. But I think if you browse through the Facebook page you’ll get a idea what is going on..

Right now I’m starting to work on my New York Central mohawk. L4b.