Are there any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

jscarmozza

Are there any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan?

Post by jscarmozza »

I checked the Discover Live Steam club roster and there doesn't appear to be any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan. Does anyone know of a 4-3/4" ga. track anywhere in the State? Thanks.
Builder01

Re: Are there any 4-3/4" ga. tracks in Michigan?

Post by Builder01 »

You might ask this question on the 1" scale ride on forum on Facebook. Some private tracks are not listed on DSL.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Thanks Builder.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

There is a group called Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers but I think they are G Scale.

John Pugh had a 1" scale track near Grand Junction but switched to 7-1/2" gage in the 60's-70's. He sold his 1" scale equipment off before passed away. So 1" was here at one time. There might be a track in Michigan but I can't think of one off hand.
jbennett1445

Post by jbennett1445 »

It's possible that I am the only active 1" scale person in MI. I am unaware of any club tracks in MI. What is your interest.

Jim B.
www.chaski.com
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Jim, my daughter has been after me to relocate to Michigan especially since my wife passed away. I made a commitment to the live steam hobby in 1" scale and would be reluctant to have to give it up if I was to relocate. It is certainly not my only consideration regarding relocation but it is how I spend my spare time. So on my list of relocation pros and cons, not having access to a club with 4-3/4" track is a big con. That's the reason for my interest. John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do not feel bad...for years I thought that PLS had the only 2.5" gauge track in the east coast...now I find there is also one as NJLS.

Built it and they will come..

1" is a logical way to go.. the rest of the world will figure it out sooner or later.

Depending on where in MI...there may be a 1" track on Ohio, Indiana or Illinois....or maybe Canada..if they share our propensity for 4.75"
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have built a 60' portable elevated track for 3 1/2" and 4 3/4" gauge, but right now it is only used to store my small gauge equipment.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:32 pm Do not feel bad...for years I thought that PLS had the only 2.5" gauge track in the east coast...now I find there is also one as NJLS.
I've always thought that if you already have a 3-1/2" and 4/3/4" track, adding the extra rail is not a lot of work compared to the original build, and it's not much more maintenance, so why not?

I don't remember NJLS having 2-1/2 when I was there last, but that was a bunch of decades and millions of brain cells ago.

Steve
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Marty_Knox wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:56 pm I have built a 60' portable elevated track for 3 1/2" and 4 3/4" gauge, but right now it is only used to store my small gauge equipment.
I've always thought that having a portable 3/4" & 1" track at Cabin Fever would be a tremendous hit!
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

Due to the large number of RC truck folk, many in 1/12 scale, there has been some interest. But I've not heard of anyone with portable track in that scale in the northeast.

In NY there are a number of 1" scale layouts. Some club track but also some very nice private layouts too.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I was surprised to learn that unlike NJLS, PLS and other northeast (and west coast) clubs, the interior clubs of the Country are predominantly just have one gauge. I wanted to pass all this stuff on to my grandsons who live in Michigan...that's a little disappointing too.