An American Made Christmas Present

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

RONALD

An American Made Christmas Present

Post by RONALD »

In July, I opened a drawer by my computer and reached for my cheap headset, only to realize the foam rubber ear pieces were disintegrating-too old!

A few weeks ago I decided to buy a new, better quality headset. I have a 90’s Yamaha, “Made In Japan” HiFi set-up in my living room; I looked for a Yamaha “Made In Japan” headset.

Turns out, today, most headsets are made in China, and that was true of Yamaha; I searched for Made In USA!

What I found was a small company in Brooklyn, New York, that has been making headsets and other acoustic devices since 1954.

What was unique about this company was a rather delightful, homey tour of their facilities.

It’s amazing they were able to survive so long, and here is that site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ9Hy4WHrvI

Their use of old equipment, is more akin to those who inhabit this Home Machinist site, rather than a robotic, 3D printing, modern manufacturing company, it should be of interest to you.

I bought their model SR325x after I looked at the video. It has a sorta “Retro Look” like something from the 1930’s. Acoustic response for my now much older ears is good.

Back in the early 60’s I had worked for Shure Brothers as an engineer. Shure had the same kind of production techniques, but on a bigger scale. Today, I believe little of Shure’s or any other big company's stuff is made in the USA!

Sent by RP