3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's a beautiful day here in the high mountain desert. 34 degrees outside and the wind is ripping around thirty miles an hour...Well maybe it's not such a nice day. But it's cozy and warm in the shop. I must thank Bill for his most generous compliment. I try to do an above average job, and everyone's compliments are a greatly appreciated. :D Here is some progress on the reversing valve-check valve. On the left we have the poppet stop-spring locator. To the right is the outlet fitting for the bottom of the valve. The spring locator fits into this. This part also limits the travel of the poppet.
Rev1.jpeg
Rev1.jpeg (291.82 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Here the spring locator has been dropped in place. As this is the outlet end of the check valve a spring was needed to hold the poppet up against the seat. The spring locator had to me mostly cut away to allow the water to pass through.
Rev2.jpeg
Rev2.jpeg (262.17 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
And with the spring in place.
Rev3.jpeg
Rev3.jpeg (261.17 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Here are all the parts laid out for a look. From left to right we have, cap, #0-80 x1/8" model bolts, main body, poppet with O ring, spring, spring locator, and outlet fitting.
Rev4.jpeg
Rev4.jpeg (363.88 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Here is a look into the valve from the top with the cap removed. You can see the poppet through the hole.
Rev5.jpeg
Rev5.jpeg (234.63 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
And here is the whole mess put together. The inlet and outlet are both tapped for 5/32" tube. This is the back side of the valve and faces inward towards the ash pan. The boss on the right would be the live steam pipe from in the cab. On the model this is 1/8" pipe, non functional here. The boss facing towards the camera would be the pipe to the top of the stoker engine, also non functional. The boss to the left would connect with the bottom of the stoker on the prototype. On the model this is actually the injector delivery pipe. Water will exit out the bottom.
Rev6.jpeg
Rev6.jpeg (228.38 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Today the reversing valve will be piped to the injector and some of the dummy piping made. I think I may start making the ash pan.
No Shortage Of Things To Do.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yesterday the piping on the fireman's side of the fire box got a bit of attention. Some of the piping is functional and some is not.
Pipe1.jpeg
Pipe1.jpeg (287.91 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
The big steam pipe to the booster engine was made.
Pipe2.jpeg
Pipe2.jpeg (278.09 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
Also the 5/32" injector delivery pipe, and the dummy 1/8" steam pipe that would be the steam supply to the stoker engine.
Pipe3.jpeg
Pipe3.jpeg (293.41 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
Now it's probably a good time to make the ash pan.
More To Come.
Jack
Old England

Post by Old England »

I think I must have been through this build log at least 3 times in the last month or so just soaking up the wonderful, inspiring work you are producing Jack. Thank you!
Carl.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Carl. I'm glad you have enjoyed this thread. I have been wondering what to make next. I was thinking of making the ash pan but then started looking at the Coffin centrifugal pump for the feed water system. This is a cool little trinket and looks like it will be a lot of fun. As usual I will be making molds and castings for this little fellow. It will also envolve some photo engraving that I will have done. I will also be having the builders plates, trust, and superheater plates made at the same time. There are also several plates for the tender too. Here is a rendering from the 1930 loco cyclopedia. This feed water system was not a common as the Worthington system. The coffin system only had a centrifugal pump and not a centrifugal pump and a separate hot water pump as the Worthington set up. There were several different versions of the Coffin pump. This one appears to be the most simple. This should be a fun project. Stay tuned.
Jack
Coffin1.jpg
Coffin1.jpg (305.88 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off, here is a look at a Coffin centrifugal pump in its natural habitat. Lots going on here. The cold water line to the tender heads off to the right. There is a length of flexible ribbed hose connecting it to the pump. The large pipe from the pump heading upwards is the water delivery pipe. The small pipe teed into this pipe to the right is the pipe to the cab sprinkler hose. To the left of this the vertical pipe is the steam supply pipe and the large curved pipe behind the pump is the exhaust steam pipe which travels to the smoke box under the running board, along with the water delivery pipe.
Coffin10.jpg
Coffin10.jpg (334.61 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Here is a start on the steam turbine housing and cover. Just a lump of round free machining brass at this point.
Coffin11.jpeg
Coffin11.jpeg (232.33 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
The bolts holding the cover on will be #00-90. Here a bit of .114" brass was drilled and a bolt was dropped in for a look. It looks OK.
Coffin12.jpeg
Coffin12.jpeg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
The diameter of the bolt pattern was determined and the holes were center drilled.
Coffin13.jpeg
Coffin13.jpeg (193.2 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Then the holes were drilled to accept the .114" round brass. Also the barrels were made and drilled #60 which is the tap drill size for #00-90.
Coffin 14.jpeg
Coffin 14.jpeg (276.28 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here the round brass has been turned down.
Coffin15.jpeg
Coffin15.jpeg (186.27 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
And now you can see why. The barrels have been inserted. This is my usual hack and whack, drill, turn, silver solder method.
Coffin16.jpeg
Coffin16.jpeg (190.24 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
Here everything has had a scrub with alcohol to remove any oil. And tarnished parts were given a zoom with the jewelers buffer. Then all was fluxed and assembled. Some small stainless wire was used to hold the barrels tightly in position. Care was taken to make sure no flux got on the wire. Small pieces of silver solder were placed against each barrel and eventing was evenly heated up.
Coffin17.jpeg
Coffin17.jpeg (225.7 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
And here is our work piece after silver soldering.
Coffin18.jpeg
Coffin18.jpeg (173.25 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
And after facing the end.
Coffin19.jpeg
Coffin19.jpeg (180.4 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
This is one way of making this part. CNC techniques could be used if available. Next the turbine housing will have a recess cut in the cover for the photo engraved inset with the Coffin logo. Then it will be parted off and the turbine housing machined and parted off. This will be a non functional Coffin pump, just for lookin' purposes. It will add to that delightful clutter that makes modern steam so cool.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's beautiful sunny morning here in the high mountain desert. The snow has melted and things are drying out. I'll be working outside today but here is some progress on the Coffin feed water pump. The end cap has already been parted off and here the main body is being parted off.
Coffin20.jpeg
Coffin20.jpeg (255.86 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Here is a shot of the end cover and the main body. The end cover is much thicker than it will appear in its final form.
Coffin21.jpeg
Coffin21.jpeg (260.02 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
A custom collet was made to hold the parts for machining. This was made from a short length of 1-3/8" aluminum round stock.
Coffin22.jpg
Coffin22.jpg (251.35 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Here is the end cap inserted into the collet. The collet will be held in the three jaw chuck. I might have gotten away with holding these parts in a 3" 4 jaw chuck. But I have a good bit of time in these parts and didn't want to risk goobbering them up. It probably only took half an hour to make the collet. Now, no worries. :D
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Coffin23.jpeg
Coffin23.jpeg (185.85 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Great fixture-making example!
Russ.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ. As usual I think it took longer to make the fixture than it will take to use it. There have been times when I should have made a fixture, or holding tool, and I didn't, MISTAKE! :cry: Start over! I hate it when that happens. There will probably be no progress on the Hudson this week as the weather is vey nice. Things have dried out and I'll be working outside.
Have A Great Day
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The thing about fixtures is that when you need one, you need a fixture to make it. But in order to make the fixture that you'll need to make the fixture, you need a tool that you don't have. Now you could make that tool, but in order to do so, you'd need a.....
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

And on and on and.........................lol
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Jack, you work is simply amazing. Sent you a Pm today