1.5 scale RTR Arch Bar Trucks with brakes

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: 1.5 scale RTR Arch Bar Trucks with brakes

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have machined 2 pair of Allen's archbar trucks. The new ones with ball bearings are great. I have the fixtures that I used when I built them. If I decide to do a pair of 36' boxcars I will have to machine a couple more pair.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
318J

Post by 318J »

Tim,

Do you have pictures, advice, or maybe a build log on your experience building Allen's Archbars? I tried searching to see if anyone had already done that on this forum, but nothing popped up. Thanks.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have also built a set of Allen Archer trucks, about 17 years ago! They were straight forward to machine and build, even with the prototypical bronze friction bearings on unhardened axles. I added vacuum brakes by silver brazing mount tubes under the top bars, to hang the brakes. 'Worked perfectly.
No build log though.

After 500+ real miles of use, I decided to upgrade them to the new Allen axle boxes and sealed ball bearings. 'Guess I needed a project.
I machined new wheels and axles while doing this (may as well...), and it all assembled easily and they work just fine. Again.
I ended up selling all the old parts (picture attached) to help someone get their trucks completed. (I haven't heard back if that was successful...)

So I can answer specific questions and can take new photos, but don't have original machining setup photos. Attached are some pics of the old wheel sets removed during the upgrade.
The flange wear after 500+ miles hauling my butt around was remarkably minor, for cast iron wheels.

I do recommend these trucks if you have the time to build them, as I'm sure MANY other builders can verify.
RussN
Flangewear.jpg
Flangewear.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2294 times
OldABTruckParts-4 small.JPG
OldABTruckParts-4 small.JPG (337.78 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

Russ
Were the new axle boxes drop in replacements for the old ones? I found a completed pair of old style trucks but it might be worth it to upgrade one day.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The original Allen trucks used half brass bearings the new ones use ball bearings. They are NOT a drop in replacement.

Tim
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled.JPG (42.12 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-2.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-2.JPG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-3.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-3.JPG (43.2 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-4.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-4.JPG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-5.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-5.JPG (35.57 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-6.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-6.JPG (34.75 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-7.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-7.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-8.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-8.JPG (33.55 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-9.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-9.JPG (41.64 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-10.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-10.JPG (30.48 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-11.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-11.JPG (38.44 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-12.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-12.JPG (30.18 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-13.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-13.JPG (28.5 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-14.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-14.JPG (46.39 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-15.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-15.JPG (26.49 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-16.JPG
_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_Download_Untitled-16.JPG (30.36 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

I guess a better question would be can the roller bearing axle boxes be used with the existing truck frame or do you have to make the whole truck? I would rather just pay to have the new axle boxes machined if I could use the rest of the truck parts I have.
Thanks
318J

Post by 318J »

Thanks for the invaluable pictures and info.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

wbarbe wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:51 pm I guess a better question would be can the roller bearing axle boxes be used with the existing truck frame or do you have to make the whole truck? I would rather just pay to have the new axle boxes machined if I could use the rest of the truck parts I have.
Thanks
The new axle boxes are slightly wider than the originals, so I had to drill new bolt holes in the outer ends of the frame bars to fit the new boxes.
That was rather simple to do and worked easily.
Of course new axles are required because they are a different shape than the friction bearing axles with the lip at the outer ends.
RussN
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

Thanks for the info
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

When I built my Allen trucks I fitted them with ball bearings. I think I bored the boxes designed for loose brasses for a thin steel tube/sleeve and filled around the tube with J-B weld, or maybe filled the cored area with J-B weld and then bored them for the sleeves. Or I might have bored the journal boxes and Loctited the sleeves in place. The 7/8" x OD 3/8" ID ball bearings were a slip fit into the sleeves. It's been 30 years since I built them, so my memories a a bit hazy. On a later batch of journal boxes Gene was able to supply them uncored. I also didn't like the sizes of hardware, so replaced the bolts with a 1/8" and #8(?). I was even able to source square nuts back then. My arch bars are cold roll with sharp edges instead of the provided hot roll with rounded edges. Journal box lids are glued in place.