Chucks 3 jaw. Which one?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

patanga

Chucks 3 jaw. Which one?

Post by patanga »

Hi folks. I'm looking to buy a 3 jaw chuck for cross slide gear cutting work on a 12x37 workshop engine lathe. Are there any recommendations as to brands of decent quality and which to stay clear of. My thinking is that an 80mm chuck should work but am interested to learn what more experienced heads are using. Thanks in advance.
Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Chucks 3 jaw. Which one?

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

80 mm is pretty small for a 12 x 37 Lathe . normally you see a 150 to 200 mm chuck.
There are a number of good chuck makers, like Pratt and Bernard and Buck but they are expensive and you don't say where you live.
If you want to keep your cost down, a Phase II should fit the bill for you, while some of the Chinese cheaper chucks are garbage
Rich
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

FYI --- Buck manual scroll chucks are made in China for them and have been for quite some time.....yes better quality, but your paying a lot more for the
Buck name. Gator makes a decent chuck, as does Bison.

Nyle
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I have Chinese chucks on my two lathes and can say they give me no problems.
Minimal runout after 15 years use with regular cleaning and lubrication.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you get a chuck with replaceable jaw tops, you can use soft jaws, machine them in place for the diameter you need and they will be dead nuts on.

I have a used chuck with soft jaws and it works flawlessly for that. Any wear in the scroll or inaccuracy in the chuck body or jaws is negated by the fact that you have bored the jaws in place.

Steve