Harold “Nick” Wantiez

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Harold “Nick” Wantiez

Post by LVRR2095 »

Nick Wantiez author and historian, has passed away on March 13th while in hospice care.
There will be no service and he will be interred at Calvary Cemetary in Wichita, Kansas.
For many years Nick wrote columns in LIve Steam Magazine on both Larger (park sized) and small garden railroad sized trains.
He was a good friend and a real gentleman. He was pre-deceased by his wife Yoshi.

Keith Taylor
Pontiacguy1

Re: Harold “Nick” Wantiez

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I remember his articles: The larger gauges, past and present and The Smaller gauges, past and present. I used to look forward to reading those. I am into 7 1/2" gauge as my main focus, but I do enjoy other scales and seeing pictures of that stuff. That was some good stuff in those articles.
JKreider

Re: Harold “Nick” Wantiez

Post by JKreider »

It was probably late '80's or 1990 when Nick called me and wanted to meet Irene Lewis. So I called Irene, and Charlene and I met Nick at her home (Little Engines) where I introduced Nick. Nick had a very enjoyable visit.
In typical Irene fashion, Irene asked me if we had eaten dinner and I told her that we had not. Irene said, just a minute, and she came back and stuck a bill under my arm and said that she wanted us to have a nice dinner on her. The bill was for $50. I told her that was too much, and she said, "I don't want any change, have a nice dinner."
Jim Kreider