WTB 1.5 Sunbeam Generator Castings

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

ebtfan

WTB 1.5 Sunbeam Generator Castings

Post by ebtfan »

A few years ago a company advertised a set of castings for a Sunbeam generator. I believe the name of the company was Model Rail Castings or something close to that. They offered a set of castings to make a 1.5" scale non-operating Sunbeam Generator. They are no longer in business and I would like to buy a set of the castings if someone has a set they would like to sell. Thank you.
little giant

Re: WTB 1.5 Sunbeam Generator Castings

Post by little giant »

If I remember correctly the man's name was Brian Bluth. I wanted a sunbeam generator as well. I did get the chance to buy his caboose castings. He said that his health was causing problems to produce the high quality work and retired. I don't know if he sold the business or not. I hope his castings are still around somewhere. They were top notch quality.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Looks like you guys are talking about Brad Bluth and his Model Rail Castings business.
Here is his webpage from 2013 (thanks to the Internet Archive): https://web.archive.org/web/20130212023 ... tings.com/
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Brad had been in the foundry and lost wax pattern/casting business for many years and his work was excellent. Taught some of his secrets to Jack Bodenmann which shows in Jack's elegant patterns and castings today.

One thing Brad did mention was the fact that way too many masters sent to him for final mold making were way too poorly executed and often needed more work if they were to move into the mold making process. It had gotten to the point where frustration with quality of inbound masters was causing him to consider leaving the business. Often times, he just returned the poorly executed masters to the owner for rework. Yet some builders were always a pleasure to work with as the masters were like opening a Christmas present of perfection as he described it to me one time.

I did most of the masters for the caboose parts to support the Keith Jackman caboose design drawings of the SP C-30-1 caboose. Have no clue what happened to my well developed master patterns. Makes me wonder if making master patterns is worth the extra trouble if all the work vanishes when someone goes out of business. I had one more master pattern for the caboose end door sill plate casting with the diamond tread cast in. When the business ceased to function, I never did complete the door sill pattern which languishes in the shop buried somewhere.

Robert
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

What happened to Brad's catalog of parts?

Mike V offers a dummy turbo gen in 1.5
https://thebackshop.org/wp-content/uplo ... atalog.pdf

Then also here's ones: https://www.herringadvancemachine.com/p ... enerators/
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I have all the engineering done to make Sunbeam generator castings the molds are going to be very expensive I'd like to get a feel for how many people would like a set of these castings before I embark on this I am probably going to invest close to 4800 to bring this project to life
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello,I would be interested in two sets of Sunbeam Castings. Thanks,Tom
_Andrew_

Post by _Andrew_ »

Does anyone make a sunbeam 1.5 scale headlight?
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Tom send me an email and I'll add you to the list once I get at least eight people on this list I will proceed forward highiron@aol.com

squirrel22 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:09 am Hello,I would be interested in two sets of Sunbeam Castings. Thanks,Tom