Superscale Cylinder drains

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChuckHackett-844

Superscale Cylinder drains

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I have a set of 4 Superscale Cylinder Drains that I purchased many years ago from Barry.

I'm finally getting around to putting them on my Northern.

Has anyone had any issues with these? Do they still work after years of use? stick at all?
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
hoppercar

Re: Superscale Cylinder drains

Post by hoppercar »

Have used mine for several years now....and have never had the slightest problem...in the winter time I blow all the water out of the lines and the valves. They have always worked great
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

ChuckHackett-844 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:58 pm I have a set of 4 Superscale Cylinder Drains that I purchased many years ago from Barry.

I'm finally getting around to putting them on my Northern.

Has anyone had any issues with these? Do they still work after years of use? stick at all?
my father and i used to have problems with the elbows always turning and aiming the steam in the wrong direction. my dad fixed that up with some loc tite and now all the elbows aim in the proper direction.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Says right there in the instructions to use a drop of loctite, to keep the elbows in place
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Ok then, I guess I can start mounting them. Hope to have them mounted for the Florida Winter Meets that start Wednesday.

Thanks for the feedback.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I also used LockTite to hold them in position... as recommended.
RussN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Are you also using Barry's 3 way drain valve??....,it works good ....but I have found on big locomotives....like my mikado....,it's a long line from the drains to the 3 way valve.....and I have about a 30 second delay, between closing the valve, and the cylinder drains popping open....I think the bleed hole in the 3 way valve is simply to small.....takes a bit for pressure in the line to drop
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

hoppercar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am Are you also using Barry's 3 way drain valve??....,it works good ....but I have found on big locomotives....like my mikado....,it's a long line from the drains to the 3 way valve.....and I have about a 30 second delay, between closing the valve, and the cylinder drains popping open....I think the bleed hole in the 3 way valve is simply to small.....takes a bit for pressure in the line to drop
I have this issue with locomotives as small as the Allen tenwheeler.
that is my only complaint,
I likely will add a bleeder valve new the cylinders to help with the release and to blow out water
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.