How to cut NPT thread on manual lathe?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

atr

How to cut NPT thread on manual lathe?

Post by atr »

I want to cut a 1" npt thread on a pipe. from what I've seen the thread pitch is 11.5 tpi. I have an Italian lathe and the option of 11.5 tpi doesn't appear on the lathe's pitch's table in inches nor the possibility of 2.208mm in metric units. of course there is the possibility of 10,11 or 12tpi. it might be a silly question, but is there a way to overcome this problem?
Charles T. McCullough

Re: How to cut NPT thread on manual lathe?

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

The simple solution is to use a die.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

11.5 pitch was intentionally created to be not interchangeable with anything else.

Agree with die solution, which is what I do since I do not want to fool with the taper attachment
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
atr

Post by atr »

Charles T. McCullough wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:05 am The simple solution is to use a die.
I guess that's indeed the simple solution but in my case I need to cut only one thread and it's funny to buy a die for only a single use.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Without a taper attachment (or a hydraulic duplicator ---a "tracer") you would not be capable of creating that thread, assuming it's tapered. If you hope to create the thread, but straight, that's a different matter and may be addressed by altering the gears in the banjo. If you have the manual for your machine and the required change gears, it may provide the needed setup sequence. If not, you are likely restricted to the use of a die.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

There is a program to find change gears; maybe it will help you find a combination that works.
do a search for "GEARSVB6".
It's free.

You input your leadsrew pitch (inch or metric) and list your available change gears. Enter desired pitch (inch or metric) and it presents you a list of possible gear combinations, with the error (if any).

Of course there's still the matter of cutting the taper...
I use the cross slide by hand while threading for that.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:01 pm I use the cross slide by hand while threading for that.
Wow! That's no small feat, but certainly a solution when there are no other options. It may not be as bad as it sounds, as one usually has the left hand on the cross-slide handle, anyway. With a little practice, a functional thread most likely can be created.

Good comment!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Maybe I should elaborate a little...
I saw it done by a machinist in India, a man of some skill.

I started by cutting the blank cone to published dimension, and taking note of the total movement of the cross slide wheel required to follow the taper.
Then I practiced that a few times to get the feel of it.
During threading, I try to keep the cut depth even while rotating the cross slide wheel the predetermined amount during the cut.

The result was far from perfect of course, but quite usable; in this case I had a shoulder for the seal, but my Indian machinist's work held a seal on the threads, it was screwed into an aluminum engine block as an oil return line for a turbocharger.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One has a couple things going for them with tapered pipe threads. For one, they are a full form (100% thread), plus they are generally created on a relatively thin wall, so the base material (the tubing on which the thread is created) can conform to the tapped thread by deforming. So long as the thread form is reasonable and full (not truncated), a seal can be expected by simply tightening adequately.

Pipe threads have 3/4"/foot taper, so the amount of cross-slide movement is easily deducted. This system would certainly not pass in a rigid controlled environment (it most likely would NOT pass any inspection procedures) but so long as the end result is functional and suits the needs of the maker, it's a great way to solve an otherwise difficult problem. It wouldn't have been acceptable where I was trained, where all features received full inspection. That's not what we're talking about her, though! :wink:

H
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Find a friend with a die?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SlowLearner

Post by SlowLearner »

Take your part and a 6 pack of beer to a plumbing shop. If they are any sort of plumbers at all you part will be threaded and you will get a smile and a thank you. Plumbing is thirsty work but you have to keep your fingers out of your mouth.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

My local Ace Hardware is equipped with a pipe threading machine and will cut threads for customers.

Not sure if all do that, but it may be worth looking in to.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!