Little engines 0-4-0 project

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Little engines 0-4-0 project

Post by Bill Shields »

sometimes...there is a reason why standards change....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

I have started to grind out the weld that had the pinhole leak. Sadly with its location it will take me several days of work.
-Chris Srch---- Home track Tradewinds and Atlantic Railroad
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The old standard that I am aware of was twice working pressure and no higher.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ChooChooChris wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 am I have started to grind out the weld that had the pinhole leak. Sadly with its location it will take me several days of work.
Hmmm. Not knowing what you're facing, that may seem reasonable, but if you have to "grind" where there is poor access, you might consider using an air grinder and rotary file. Properly applied, they are a real terror and can open up the weld nicely without removing material unnecessarily. Best of all, they allow access where a wheel may not. A picture of the area in question would be interesting to see.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm
ChooChooChris wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 am I have started to grind out the weld that had the pinhole leak. Sadly with its location it will take me several days of work.
Hmmm. Not knowing what you're facing, that may seem reasonable, but if you have to "grind" where there is poor access, you might consider using an air grinder and rotary file. Properly applied, they are a real terror and can open up the weld nicely without removing material unnecessarily. Best of all, they allow access where a wheel may not. A picture of the area in question would be interesting to see.

H
I’ll get one next time I’m out there. It’s on a curve inside the firebox the only tool that fits is a small air tool or a Dremel with a flexible shaft. So not getting to work with much power using 1/8 inch shaft carbide rotary bits
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or a Dremel with a right angle head?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Still slowly grinding out this bad weld. I think I laid it too hot. Slight crack and some slag that sunk in.

Its getting there.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wow! It's been quite a while. Sounds like it's not a fun project, but kudos for your tenacity.

I have a small air tool that accepts ¼" shanks. I've used it numerous times with carbide rotary files. If you have a lot of weld left to remove, it might be a good idea to investigate something similar. It would make short work of the project, assuming that's of interest to you.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:26 am Wow! It's been quite a while. Sounds like it's not a fun project, but kudos for your tenacity.

I have a small air tool that accepts ¼" shanks. I've used it numerous times with carbide rotary files. If you have a lot of weld left to remove, it might be a good idea to investigate something similar. It would make short work of the project, assuming that's of interest to you.

H
Sadly the location of the weld limits teh tool size I can use and mandates a flexible shaft and narrow handle and tool. It is mostly slow because I hardly have been working on it as I keep getting distracted with other projects. This past year alone.
-100s of ft of track replaced.
-rewired 4 electric locos.
-started rebuild of a club steamer
-fixing multiple issues on another steamer
-helping with yet another steamer
-auto flange grease system
- and IDK what else.

Mindlessly grinding is relaxing when I get to it.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

How about using a Plasma cutter?
ChooChooChris

Post by ChooChooChris »

IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg (480.04 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Doing this seam all the way around