Now what have we here?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Now what have we here?

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a look at the front end. Quite different than one our engines. No coupler, just the British style link. Buffers too. No pilot hanging down near the track.
Trinket15.jpeg
And a closer look. This engine is a coal burner, and has a superheated copper boiler.
Trinket16.jpeg
A look from the other end. The engine has an injector, a hand pump, and an axle pump. The injector will probably get replaced with one of Anthony's small scale injectors.
Trinket14.jpeg
And a full broadside. The engine measures out at 53" over the buffers.
Trinket17.jpeg
And last one, the other side. I think it's a beautiful little model and I can't wait to go tearing around the high line behind her. One shortcoming is that there is no whistle...I will be adding one of LBSC"s little whistles. A little screecher, just right for a green British engine :D
Trinket18.jpeg
Little Britannia here is 3-1/2" gauge. She has a very short tender and will be just the ticket for high line running. The high line is almost finished and I wanted a running steam locomotive to run. I won't be running this engine until the high line is finished, so it's a pretty good carrot dangled before me. A English company called King Scale had 25 of them made, in China. I could not have bought the castings and material for what they sell them for. There are some videos of them running on YouTube. Too much fun!
See You In The Funny Pages
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Well, I was mistaken. I was looking at the cab layout and noticed what looked like a whistle valve. It was a whistle valve, and the whistle is hidden under the cab. Cool!
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Have any Welsh coal to burn in it?

Be interested in seeing how a Chinese injector works.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

I have about 600 LBS. of Welsh coal stashed. For my small scale locomotives, that's probably more than a lifetime supply. I have been experimenting with different sized mesh to screen my coal. I have an assortment of little wood boxes 12" square with mesh on the bottom. For this engine I may use 1/2"-3/8" coal. That is coal that fits through a 1/2" mesh screen, but not through a 3/8" mesh screen. It may be too big for this engine. I also have 3/8"-1/4" coal. The grate on Britannia is 4-1/4" x 4-1/4". I'll try them both. After screening all the dust is removed and the coal sparkles like, well you guessed it, black diamonds. Here is some double screened coal. This is 1/4"-1/8" coal. This is what I burn in my Gauge 1, 7/8"scale Forney. If you look you can see it on the shelf in the background. I always screened my coal, even for #9. It gets all the dust out and helps the coal to burn very clean.
Black Diamonds.jpeg
As to the Chineese injector I have had the same thought. How well will it work? We'll just have to wait and see. If it misbehaves in any way I will change it to one of Anthony's small scale units. Which I know will be very dependable. I have a couple stashed away. If something is available in this hobby and you plan on having one buy it now if you can. It may not be available tomorrow. Kind of like this pretty little green locomotive. When I bought it there were only four left. I knew that if I didn't get one I would regret it later. :D
Having Fun Here!
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good for you on the coal. I am out except maybe 10#, and have given up looking.

Fortunately I have found a supplier of green petroleum coke, which keeps all my smaller locos running just fine.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I couldn't stand it . . . I'd have to set this one on a rolling road and fire it up ASAP!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
You are really stepping up your game!
Thanks for the early look/see.
'Anticipating your next move...
RussN
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Spent many a happy hour behind an LBSC version of a 3.5” gauge Brit made by a mentor. Went like stink with a nice bark. Also a very distinct side to side wobble over points and any track irregularities. Good memories!

Hope yours is as enjoyable!

Mountaineer
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Mountaineer- which one ? I have/had one from TSME- it's safely ensconced with dad due to really needing a heavy general, something about a kid driving about 800 miles (!) with it or so :). (still young person at work with steam...but not THAT young any more). It's run at several Canadian locations, as you might have known. From as far east to as far west as it can be in Canada- I am quite sure that the only steam that has run further east or west was in a ship...from St John's to my home.

Jack, you will find that assuming it is mostly to LBSC's design, the strangeness to look at is the height of the gauge glass in relation to the crown height on the boiler. Mine is soildly about 1/2 way through the glass...and is a commercial boiler. It is probably worth looking at before you fire...

Mine @ Battersea (Kingston, Ontario)- note, the tender was "borrowed" from something else, in a vain attempt to encourage dad to do the promised heavy general on it...it didn't help !. 8 years ago or so...

ImageIMG_0496 by Peach James, on Flickr

There are other images in there- some of them older scans. One of my favorites:
ImageBrit3MLS by Peach James, on Flickr

I've no idea who the child is...just that they are about 28 now, and hopefully this helped inspire them !
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I want to get the high line finished up, and as I said earlier, the Britannia will be a great motivator. I will be sure to check the crown sheet- water glass placement. Great photos James. It looks like you know your way around a Britannia. I'm looking forward to doing the same. They are all different. That is part of the fun.
Jack