Lathe lubrication

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jpfalt

Re: Lathe lubrication

Post by jpfalt »

I'd go with the detergent. At least over time the wear products will end up flushed out of the bearings by the fresh oil you pit in at the start of each session. Personally, I use Vactra for the bearings and ways.
pete

Post by pete »

One more point about high detergent oils and old machine tools that I've seen mentioned. Back before the detergent oils became common a lot of bronze or brass bushings and bearings were used that can sometimes react in a negative way with the additives used in some of today's high detergent oils. Not all of them, just some of them. As far as I know there isn't any 100% sure way to know if that combination of oil and the alloy used in the bushing or bearing material is compatible or not. I have learned the hard way not to try and think I was smarter than the guy who originally specified what lubrication to use. The machine tool manufacturer's never detail what might happen if you don't follow there recommendations. I guess they figure most will just keep to the suggested lube.
CStevens101

Post by CStevens101 »

Old thread i know, but it reminded me of an original colt m1911 that I lucked into one time that was in the original box with the owners manual still in it. It called for being lubricated after cleaning with whale oil. Sperm whale if I remember right. I can't even imagine the putrid stench a gallon of whale oil would smell like after it started to rot or whatever the hell oil rendered from animal fat does when it goes bad, but I know for sure it does, and it stinks like something crazy so I'm glad we don't use that stuff anymore for anything cause you know them purists out there would have them slobbed up with exactly what the manual said and after a while, that crap would coagulate and leave little puddles of re constuted whale fat build up and would stink so bad you wouldn't have to get a concealed carry permit cause you'd be able smell a colt owner coming from a mile away i bet lol.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have never used detergent oil in a lathe...or can't remember using in any rotating equipment except an auto engine.

I have flushed equipment out with solvent, then flushed with oil several times before running.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JackF

Post by JackF »

When I was young, 70+ years ago, my grandfather had a can of whale oil that he used to oil his boots. I don't recall of it having any foul smell. And he kept it on a shelf behind the wood burning stove. :shock: :lol:

Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

nor have any of my clocks smelled bad, and I still use whale oil (from a 50+ year old bottle) to lubricate them -> but that is a very small drop of oil and pretty sure my nose (today) would not notice it..... :mrgreen:
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

CStevens101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:22 am Old thread i know, but it reminded me of an original colt m1911 that I lucked into one time that was in the original box with the owners manual still in it. It called for being lubricated after cleaning with whale oil. Sperm whale if I remember right. I can't even imagine the putrid stench a gallon of whale oil would smell like after it started to rot or whatever the hell oil rendered from animal fat does when it goes bad, but I know for sure it does, and it stinks like something crazy so I'm glad we don't use that stuff anymore for anything cause you know them purists out there would have them slobbed up with exactly what the manual said and after a while, that crap would coagulate and leave little puddles of re constuted whale fat build up and would stink so bad you wouldn't have to get a concealed carry permit cause you'd be able smell a colt owner coming from a mile away i bet lol.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner for the longest run-on sentence ever seen on Chaski (I think)! :P
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And I wasn't going to point that out...
:roll:
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

wassa runonsentence ?

3 consecutive life convictions?