Clausing 5310 problem.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

56pan

Clausing 5310 problem.

Post by 56pan »

I've got a 5310 and today was my first attempt at threading. Read up, watched videos and had the piece at the right diameter and was going to cut 1/2X13 threads. Back gear was engaged, belt pulleys at slowest spindle speed, longitudinal and crossfeed handle was centered in disengaged position. Quick change gear lever in the right spot for the thread I was cutting. The split nut handle is stuck down and will not raise. With leadscrew turning or not turning. I could not see anything caught in the gap between the leadscrew and half nuts with a flashlight and mirror. Oil level in the saddle is fine. Before I tear into it, I was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem and would appreciate any advice available. Thank you for your time.
Bill Shields

Re: Clausing 5310 problem.

Post by Bill Shields »

Is the apron drive lever in neutral?

If it is not, you cannot engage the threading half nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRc4RFmgnU
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There is a lockout mechanism so the threading and power feed actions cannot be engaged at the same time. If this is a used lathe, I have seen a situation where the lockout mechanism was damaged and both functions could be engaged at the same time. Best case, just locked up, worst case, some damage. Removal/disassembly of the apron may be required.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you are not sure if the word description, watch the YouTube video very carefully.

Notice what the operator does JUST BEFORE he lifts the half nut handle for the first time.

If this sequence does not work for you, then proceed to step 2: acquire disassembly instructions for the apron.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.