Millner-Haufen cutoff wheel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Millner-Haufen cutoff wheel

Post by Mr Ron »

I just bought a Millner-Haufen 4-1/2" cutoff wheel(https://millnertools.com/) for an angle grinder. it is coated with diamond dust, 40 grit on one side and 80 grit on the other. It cost $150 and has an unlimited life time warranty. I have never heard of this company before and have not found any reviews. It is supposed to do what regular cutoff wheels do, but better. Actually I bought it for my son as a Christmas gift so I will have him as a reviewer. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this product and how they liked it.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Re: Millner-Haufen cutoff wheel

Post by Harold_V »

That's quite interesting. Small diamond wheels that are similar (metallic bonded diamond, not plated) are available from HF for a much lower price, although I'm not aware that they offer any warranty for wear. Diamond tools, even those used properly on acceptable material types, all wear out. It's just a matter of when, of how much improper application each experiences.

I tend to not agree with their advertising, and it has nothing to do with their particular product. It revolves around the suitability of ANY diamond tool used at elevated speed on ferrous materials. It's no secret that diamond is destroyed by iron (steel) when operated at elevated temperatures. That's one of the reasons CBN wheels are sold for sharpening brazed carbide cutting tools. The diamond is absorbed by the material, dulling (and destroying) it in the process. No amount of warranty will change that, so, assuming they honor their warranty, I suspect that they are going to provide multiple replacements for those who use the tool accordingly.

Diamond parting wheels are invaluable when working with hard abrasive non-ferrous materials. I suspect your son will enjoy his. I have worn out several over the course of building my shop and house. Couldn't be without one.

Please report on the board of his experience when (or if) he requests a replacement. It will be interesting to read of their compliance to their warranty, especially if he destroys his attempting to cut a ferrous material.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.