Little Giant two piece die adjustment ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Little Giant two piece die adjustment ?

Post by jcfx »

I have a Greenfield / Little GIant tap and die set and some of the die inserts are not adjusted properly
some cut undersized threads or over, I want to press them into service and lately what I have been doing
is take for example a 1/4 - 20 screw loosen the back of the holder a bit and use the adjustment screws to
bring the inserts to where I'm barely cutting the 1/4-20 screw then tighten everything up, not too accurate.
There are lines inscribed on the inserts and the holder but they never seem to work right ( to light a cut or too deep )
how does one adjust them so they cut a correct sized thread ?
Greenfield Die.jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Little Giant two piece die adjustment ?

Post by Bill Shields »

pretty much the way you are doing it gets you close.

however when you actually cut with no threads on -> I usually find that the die (after adjustment), cuts a little large
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:39 pm pretty much the way you are doing it gets you close.

however when you actually cut with no threads on -> I usually find that the die (after adjustment), cuts a little large
I kind of figured that was the way to adjust the inserts.

Don't quite get what you mean by your last line ( -> ? ) .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Just that ..after adjustment to a finished thread sample, I sometimes find that the die cuts a little large when actually making threads by cutting them.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Got it, that's why I decided on adjusting the inserts till they were just shaving bits off
the screw thread.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Try a piece of bare rod and see if you get the same result before you go out whole hog.