import lathe gear

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

selkov

import lathe gear

Post by selkov »

I inherited an import lathe, a CZ43681. Two of the threading gears are stripped. I have the replacement gears but no instructions on how to change them. Has anyone done this before? Is there a tutorial or video?
Any help would be great.
rmac

Re: import lathe gear

Post by rmac »

Welcome to the forum.

Googling CZ43681 doesn't bring up anything in the way of lathes, so a good first step would be for you to more clearly identify the lathe you have there. Do you know the manufacturer? Can you post a picture?

-- Russell Mac
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

Google Harbor Freight 43681. Likely the same or very similar to yours.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
rmac

Post by rmac »

Jon W wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:40 pm Google Harbor Freight 43681. Likely the same or very similar to yours.
Excellent! And if you dig just a little deeper, you'll find the manual for the lathe online here.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is a typical ROC lathe.

Not sure what you mean by threading gears.

Are you referring to gears in the quick change gearbox or gears in the carriage apron?

Either way, the manual does not provide disassembly instructions...just an exploded view of the components.

It is up to the user to discern procedures.

Knowing exactly which gears will help...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
selkov

Post by selkov »

It is the carriage apron. I have the manual and can see the excluded view. Hoping for some insight before disassembling everything
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I have repaired several of that style lathe aprons. You will need to remove all 3 rods and the bracket on the RH end of the lathe to remove the rods. then simply on-bolt the apron from the rest of the cariage . The lead screw and feed rod should have cross pins at the headstock end. The bottom rod that is the on/off control there is cover on the H/S end ,pay attention on how that is setup as that can be a bit fussy to put back together. Been 5-6 years since the last time I had one of those lathes apart so memory on the switch details is shall we say a bit foggy. Otherwise job is pretty straight forward.
www.chaski.com
rmac

Post by rmac »

I also have a generic, inherited Taiwanese lathe. I partially disassembled it when I got it to inspect the innards, clean it up, and relubricate everything. Based on that experience, I'd say that if you're mechanically inclined at all, you'll find it fairly straightforward. Just ...
  • Be careful.
  • Take your time.
  • Don't force things.
  • Be aware that some of the parts are heavy and prepare accordingly.
  • Take lots of pictures as you take things apart so you don't forget how they went together.
  • Help parts that go together stay together by storing them together in zip lock bags or whatever.
You might want to read this thread that talks about some of this stuff in more detail.

-- Russell Mac
rmac

Post by rmac »

John Evans wrote: The lead screw and feed rod should have cross pins at the headstock end.
On my lathe those are tapered pins, and before I got everything cleaned up it was hard to tell which way they went in. Hence my "Don't force things" suggestion. I remember at the time being afraid of driving them from the wrong end and just making them tighter.

-- Russell Mac
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had that experience as well; I didn't realize it was a tapered pin and hit the wrong end.
Carefully measuring each side of a pin before attempting to remove it can save you some grief!
selkov

Post by selkov »

Thank you all