Operating MARS Light

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

RBusinger

Operating MARS Light

Post by RBusinger »

Does anyone know who makes the operating MARS light which uses a small gear motor to simulate the motion and a Maglite flashlight head for the light? I have one that needs to be repaired.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Dan_M

Re: Operating MARS Light

Post by Dan_M »

The one I bought several years ago is from Gordon Briggs (timbercreekrr@yahoo.com]. Not sure he still makes them.

Dan
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Pacific Design Shops worked with Pike River Shops to create a new mechanism as the previous offerings created interferences when placed into an F or E unit nose. The mechanism matches the prototype angular movement for both directions without causing excess movement in the bulbs.

Manufacturing of the parts will be started over the winter. We are targeting $300 for a completed light assembly, just apply 12V of power. There is a built in speed adjuster for the motor and a dimmer switch for the LED's. Future offerings will be single bulb versions and tri-bulb versions of the MARS pattern along with Gyralite versions.

Video of working MARS light, watch from 7:45 and onwards
Attachments
3D Mars Light.png
3D Mars Light.png (246.48 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
UP Mars Light2a.jpg
UP Mars Light2a.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

After the Frisco merger, we got some Frisco freight motors up in the PRB. They all had Gyralights, and when I'd get one, I used to run them and pretend I was on a passenger train. After a while, the Company cut the wires, so they didn't work anymore. Took my fun away.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired