Less than full size mill suggestions

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

VelocityDuck

Less than full size mill suggestions

Post by VelocityDuck »

I recently picked up a 60's era South Bend 10" lathe in my quest to replace the 3-in-1 I've been using. The difference is night and day! :D

Now it's time to tackle the mill side. I'm finding lots of full size knee mills around here (mostly Bridgeports) but unfortunately, there is no way I'm fitting one of those in my shop. I saw a mention of the Burke MV1 and that looks like I could squeeze one in. But even if I expanded my search area significantly (even beyond an 8 hour drive), I just don't see any of those available.

Like I was with the lathe, I'm not opposed to new. Precision Matthews seems to be well thought of. Maybe something like a 728 or 932.

Any other suggestions for a small floor standing or a large benchtop mill?
SteveM

Re: Less than full size mill suggestions

Post by SteveM »

First, you should add your location to your profile, so people know where you are.

We have what looks to be a nice, compact Sheldon horizontal mill for sale here, but I don't know if you are anywhere near here.

As to mills with a smaller footprint, the Clausing and Rockwell machines are nice machines in a small footprint. They are both available as horizontal and vertical. What you will find is that they cost more than some Bridgeports, for exactly the issue you mentioned - hobby guys can get them in their basement when a Bridgeport won't fit.

Horizontal mills are less popular and can go for less, as people would rather have a vertical, but as Jim Rozen says, they are easy to work with - you just have to change your thinking 90 degrees.

Pratt & Whitney made a small benchtop horizontal / vertical mill, but it's nowhere near the work envelope of the Clausing / Rockwell machines.

Be sure that whatever you look at has cranks and dials for all three directions - there are mills called "hand mills" that have levers and they are meant for production work.

BTW, a benchtop actually takes up MORE space than a small floorstanding mill - the tables I have used for my P&W mill ranged from 2'x2' to 2'x3', both of which are larger than the footprint of a Clausing or Rockwell mill.

Steve
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Profile updated. In the Florida Panhandle. Used to be outside of Chicago (Barrington, to be exact). I see lots of equipment for sale up there.

I've never even seen a horizontal mill in person. The idea of an end mill horizontal with the end pointing at you seems... weird. :lol:
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah yes...but the chips all fall to the floor..

Granted -> they can be annoying to set up when the tool is horizontal and gravity not working with you to hold things to the table until clamped>

I have a half size Bridgeport clone on a stand and except for table travel allowances and height considerations it does use as much space as a full size unit

...but then I have 9' ceilings in my basement and the wells index slid right in with lots of vertical clearance.

No matter what recommend you avoid round column mills that lose alignment.

In general something that looks like a Bridgeport only smaller is the general direction to go.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Been searching for a Burke MV1, Deckel FP1, Maho, Clausing 8520 or 8530 and a Hardinge TM/UM.

Danged things are like unicorns. :(
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Deckels are very good mills...but can hardly be considered less than full size..and they are unicorns... anyone that has one only parts with it by way of his widow..
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Anyone got an idea what this is? I thought it might be a Hardinge. It's close but not quite a match.
269817931_300385088710804_2755186433779210588_n.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

VelocityDuck wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 am Anyone got an idea what this is? I thought it might be a Hardinge. It's close but not quite a match.
It looks like a miniature version of an Abene with the head that rotates for both vertical and horizontal.

The picture here is resized so I can't zoom in without it getting fuzzy.

If you have an original higher-resolution pic, zoom in and see if you can read any of the lettering on the side.

Steve
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

That's the only picture on the ad. Unfortunately, the seller is not responding.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

In 2019 HGR in Cleveland had 4 of these benchtop Optimil BF Vario 46 Mills for sale at very reasonable prices. Chinese made but by a German company. If memory serves they were CNC as well as manual. Wish I had room for one.
Optimill BF 45Vario.jpg
Here is the link to the Optimil BF Vario 46. https://www.machinetools.com/en/models/ ... f-46-vario
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

VelocityDuck wrote:Anyone got an idea what this is? I thought it might be a Hardinge. It's close but not quite a match.
269817931_300385088710804_2755186433779210588_n.jpg
Looks like a Van Norman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Careful of the optimil variants...more than a few problems with the spindle speed controller.

IIRC it is not just a straightforward VFD swap..had an odd motor.

The Precision Matthews machines come from China