Argent Lumber 3 spot

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

rudd

Re: Argent Lumber 3 spot

Post by rudd »

Tom,

Thank you very much! I was worn out from work last night, I'd ass-u-me'd you were posting drawings of typical swing link trucks. I don't know where you got those, but thank you!

R
rudd

Post by rudd »

I didn't like the look of the automatic and steam powered cylinder cocks. With this engine, they are pretty prominent because of the sloped cylinders
I started out with some 1/8" NPT to flare adaptors, by the time it was done it would have been about as easy to start from a hunk of hex stock.
The holes in the cylinder are really shallow, I ended up grinding back a pipe tap to open the threads enough to accept the shortened pipe thread on the fittings. Would have been easier to use NPS, I have to use sealant either way.
IMG_0025.jpg
DSCN4698copy.jpg
rudd

Post by rudd »

Got a nice break over Christmas. I whittled some crossheads out of bar stock and connected the piston rods. I still have to make the slippers for the other side.
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg
rudd

Post by rudd »

Crossheads are done.
I made the rockers and rocker boxes. The boxes are made up out a short strip of angle which is then brazed to the machined tube of the pivot. Brazing there allowed me to sliver solder a vertical leg on to the base of the angle that will go alongside and be bolted to the upper frame member. The vertical leg of the angle supports the yoke. This is how it was on the prototype. Looking at the prototype, the casting that is represented by the angle failed on one side, and there is a big goobery braze job and some added bits to stabilize the box. Backwoods engineering at its finest. This is why I added the piece that will bolt to the side of the frame.
The rockers are two cylindrical pieces silver soldered to a piece of 1/8" sheet. I'm getting lots better at silver soldering. I have been buying supplies (other than solder) from Rio Grande Supply. https://www.riogrande.com/I bought a vermiculite block to braze on, it tends to melt and stick to the part with my ham-handed oxy-fuel brazing. So then I bought a ceramic flat, and a couple of these doo-dads - https://www.riogrande.com/product/ceram ... ins/111037 which I already broke one of. Pooof, 5 bux up the chimney! But it did make holding the parts of the arms in place much easier. Next time I'll set it on the ceramic flat instead of my wonkey steel brazing table. I was also given a Foredom shaft tool, the dremel now spends its time safe in its box. The Foredom tool is amazingly better.
I've got the yoke in place and attached to the guides, but until I trim off the taper pins, it won't all go together. The bolts are on the way, at which point I'll attach the boxes to the frames, trim off the pins, and loctite them in place.
DSCF0005.JPG
IMG_0105.jpg