New 4-jaw...wish I could turn back the clock!!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

jgarrett

New 4-jaw...wish I could turn back the clock!!

Post by jgarrett »

I just purchased a new 4-jaw 6" chuck from LMS. My theory is always buy as big as will fit and what you can afford. No problem with LMS, they are great.
When I opened the box I know I had made a mistake. WAY too big for my needs. I probably should have gotten the 4". Most of what I am doing now is small steam engines and the little Unimat 4-jaw I was using just didn't cut it. I will keep the 6" and buy a 4" later. I guess the moral of this purchase is "bigger is not always better"
I have a Maximat V10-P.
Machining the back plate and drilling the holes is another complete story, but it fit and a Starrett Last Word DTI shows less than a needle width TIR.
Julian
geraldvowles

Post by geraldvowles »

You might try looking for an equal value swap with someone who did the opposite by posting to the Buy Sell Swap board here; it gets quite a few visits.

- Gerry
A Legend in His Own Mind
16WhiteColly

Re: New 4-jaw...wish I could turn back the clock!!

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I bought an 8” 4 jaw for my G 9729 lathe but I think running it all time would be too much weight for the spindle bearings, staying with the 6” max.
40 year retired machinist.