Making 6-32 threaded Rod

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BobBarbara

Making 6-32 threaded Rod

Post by BobBarbara »

I'm planning on making some 6/32 threaded rod for a project. Where can I source some .138 rod to fabricate
with a 6/32 die?
Rick

Re: Making 6/32 threaded Rod

Post by Rick »

Why don't you just buy it, its only a couple dollars for 6 feet.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods/ ... gth~6-ft-/
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
BobBarbara

Post by BobBarbara »

I have to cut each piece to be 5" and then thread both ends. Then bend it into a square u-shape. Haven't been
able to find it on the internet. I would purchase it if I could find it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Try looking for 3.5mm rod or wire.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I think it's out there but I can't remember where I saw it. If you can't find it, could you go with 5/40? That's a 1/8 rod. Also if you don't need steel, you can get brazing rod in 5/32 and take the ends down a few thou to thread #6.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

Use #36 01 drill rod from Victornet.com. $2.36 per length.
BobBarbara

Post by BobBarbara »

U Bolt.jpg
Can this material be easily bent to the enclosed shape? I need to make this out of a metal that's easy to bend.
Last edited by BobBarbara on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi Bob,

#6-32 is not the best choice to use. #5-40 would be much better (which is also the right size for 1/8" dia.).

The reason is that the ratio between the thread OD and the root diameter is highest for #6-32 and so it is the hardest thread to cut and also the most difficult to tap, especially in a blind hole. The taps break easier and the cutting torque is highest both for dies and for taps.

I used to use #6-32 because I thought it was right for 1/8" dia. but now I avoid it whenever possible.

Yes, you should be able to bend it OK, but you will likely have to thread it first because you won't be able to get the die in position afterwards. It depends on how sharp a bend you need and what the material is that you are using. You might have to heat the bends either before you start or even part way through the bending process to avoid having the material break at the bend due to work hardening. Try at least one bend on a scrap piece first, just to be sure.

Richard Trounce.
BobBarbara

Post by BobBarbara »

Richard: I would have no hesitation to use a #5-40 die. I was planning on cutting the threads before bending as you suggested. If you viewed my drawing the bends are 90 degrees in a square U-bolt shape. I would want to use
some soft type of steel or possibly aluminum stock. I have to make about 50 of these for a scale R/C model I'm designing. There not stress on the part so strength is not an issue.
Last edited by BobBarbara on Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

Well, I was going from memory. You need #29 drill rod not #36. Victor Machinery has that too as does McMaster and others. Years ago I did what you want to do but with 4-40 and I bought drill rod to do it. It should work fine but you probably should make a punch and die to do it in a press. Nice thing about drill rod is that you can heat treat it afterwards if that is a consideration for your project.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

3.5 mm aluminum wire -cable -jack -plug

gets lots of hits on Google.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX