Searching for SP's last ceremonial steam locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Searching for SP's last ceremonial steam locomotive

Post by NP317 »

Doug:
Yes, that's the locomotive, likely all dolled up for the Farewell to Steam tours.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Talk about being "dolled-up", it was hard to recognize the Daylight (SP 4449) after it was painted to be used as the motive power for the Freedom Train, back in '75-'76.
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 am Talk about being "dolled-up", it was hard to recognize the Daylight (SP 4449) after it was painted to be used as the motive power for the Freedom Train, back in '75-'76.
H
Harold:
I always thought that red, white and blue paint job was atrocious! But if it helped get the 4449 restored to operation, then it was worth that hideous effort.

15 or so years ago (?) I was motorcycling east on Washington State's scenic Hwy 2, heading up the cascade mountains to Leavenworth, when we stopped at a long straight stretch next to the BNSF mainline and siding. Cars were stopped all along the road, and we learned they were waiting for the 4449 to steam East with a special passenger train. Of course I had no idea this event was in motion.
Eventually the 4449+train did show up, and stopped on the siding (a surprise!) waiting for a westbound AMTRAK train. And the 4449 was painted in wartime black, and still looked gorgeous.

I strolled to the cab of the 4449 and was greeted by their BNSF pilot. He was a long time friend who I trained to operate steam locomotives so many years ago at the Snoqualmie Railroad Museum!!! I had quite the good day. Small world.

Anyway: Paint jobs. There are pleasing ones and there are ugly ones.
RussN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

This 2248?
F0DBD4E3-7997-42A5-BF23-BEC616EC7CB5.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I'll take it!
Oh wait. I already have one.
RussN
TM005.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

2248 seems to sit higher or have a larger boiler than most allen engines
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Since you said "ceremonial," that would have to belong to 4449 when SP pulled it out of the Oregon State Fair in 1991 to run the Shasta Daylight excursions to help promote tourism in the Dunsmuir area after the Cantera Loop derailment. It was a train completely paid for by the SP for this purpose.
Matt Mason