The handrail conundrum

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: The handrail conundrum

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:34 pm Loctite now....later just wave a torch at it and loctite will fall apart. Protect painted surfaces with ceramic or sheet metal ...or both
Yeah. I'll experiment with that.

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:34 pm Or broach the center bore hex and use a hex key as the coupler...

A hex broach into the end of a 5/32 rod. Now that would send me to the psycho ward for sure! :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I use a sharpened hex wrench pressed into an appropriate hole.

I use an old lathe. Hold rod I collet...key/broach in the tailstock
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:11 am I use a sharpened hex wrench pressed into an appropriate hole.

I use an old lathe. Hold rod I collet...key/broach in the tailstock

Clever. I'll try that!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, I have solved the problem. It came to me when I woke up at 2 a.m. with the urge for a bagel.

The tapered course on my boiler isn't as steep as the prototype. Some testing shows that the 5/32 brass tube I have will slide through just fine and will bend such that it will work past the taper without needing the sharp bend of the prototype. And I have decided that the bend over the sander pipes will just be overlooked. No one will notice, and you guys won't tell anyone.

So I'll run the 5/32 tube along the boiler from the cab to the front stanchion on each side of the smokebox. Then I'll make the U-shaped piece that goes across the smokebox front out of solid rod. The stanchion on the smokebox front will have a stud that goes all the way through with a nut on the inside, thus it can be put on the rod before the rod is bent and attached by removing the smokebox front. I'll have turned down the ends of the rod so it will fit into the ends of the tubes where they end at the stanchions on the sides of the smokebox. So everything will fit and will be removable if needed.

I love it when I wake up in the night with a solution to a problem. (Much better than waking up in the night after dreaming of being attacked by a lion.)
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Or falling... and forgetting to wake up before you hit!