Tracks to the Trenchs World War 1 Commenmoration

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

thunderskunk

Re: Tracks to the Trenchs World War 1 Commenmoration

Post by thunderskunk »

Essayons! I enlisted 12B, been with sappers most of my career.

To delve back on topic... this thing on 2.5” gauge track is MASSIVE. Full size boiler is 36” dia. Scaled comes to 10 1/2” am I doing my math right?

Drivers are about 5” apart, front truck is 7” from driver and rear is 9 1/2”. This is starting to sound like I’m going to have turn radius and balance issues... what do you guys think?Image
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
partime

Post by partime »

Great video Glenn! Thanks for posting it. Much owed to that generation and the one that came after it.
Love the sheetmetal on the loco, you could fab the majority with a brake and a shear! :)
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

thunderskunk wrote:...Full size boiler is 36” dia. Scaled comes to 10 1/2” am I doing my math right?
Answer is no, I am not doing my math right. Should be a 5 1/2” dia. Must have thought it was 5’ wide or something. Been a long few weeks
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

5 1/2” sounds about right. And your length looks like it might approach 30”. So sounds pretty well balanced. The one issue the Baldwin’s had was excessively wide saddle tanks. Causing them to fall over sideways if parked overnight on uneven track- caused by water transfer to the lower tank, until the loco reached its tipping point. Don’t think the Davinports had this issue, or there would have been published reports. Still, something to think about when building a model.

Have you considered 7.5” gauge? Lots more suppliers and clubs around in that gauge/scale. Iam partial to 12” gauge (and larger) much easier to get on and ride, and very stable.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Andy Clerici build a trench locomotive. The Golden Gate Live Steamers index shows articles in the Jan/Feb 1997 edition of Live Steam.

You might be interested in the book "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" by Richard Dunn ISBN-10 : 0961546727
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Have you considered 7.5” gauge? Lots more suppliers and clubs around in that gauge/scale. Iam partial to 12” gauge (and larger) much easier to get on and ride, and very stable.

Glenn
I have; I’ve been dwelling too long on all of my projects. I have a 7 1/4” G5C that was and is still way over my head. The scrap frames are still sitting in the corner; haven’t had the heart to throw them out. I have all the CAD and prints completed for a 1” scale Kozo A3, but when I started programming parts I ran into a bug with Inventor that corrupted my files.

I’m considering doing this in 5” gauge because I still have axle and bearing material from that Kozo project, but I’m not sure that’s a good decision either. What’s really cool is RMI has trench railway rolling stock in 7 1/2” gauge already, but my goal is to just build something. I have a Cnc machine shop and haven’t finished a locomotive yet. A nice freelance 3.5” gauge engine would be quick. I think... Hopefully. I could probably make most of the parts from material under the bench.
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

pat1027 wrote: You might be interested in the book "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" by Richard Dunn ISBN-10 : 0961546727
This book is AWESOME by the way. Thanks!
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

I’ve almost worn out my copy of “narrow gage to no man’s land.”

I’m experimenting with scaling in Solidworks. I got it to work in a way that you draw the model based on full-size prints, make configurations specific to a scale, then modify certain dimensions for stock sizes and such. The Davenport really grew on me, so hopefully these models prove useful and I get around to finishing it this time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202111 ... b62b8d.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Good to see you are still working away on the loco. Nice work in Solidworks. The 2-6-2 has always been one of my favorites. If we ever get a 15” ga RR on the ground, a Davenport is what I would build for it.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....