Future considerations from EE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Future considerations from EE

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

First off, I have several products slated for the future that are definitely coming to EE's lineup, and those will be announced later as current projects wrap up. Those items are not in this list.

The purpose of this post is to put out some things I am considering producing depending on interest. Please let me know if you would be a seriously interested buyer for any of these items.

This is not a product announcement. Just testing the waters with my wish list, and hoping these are on your wish list too.
So, here are some items I hope to produce with sufficient interest:

2.5" Scale “Bull's Eye” Hydrostatic Lubricator (working)
Bullseye.jpg

1.5" and 2.5" Scale Hancock “H-N-L” Inspirator and Starting Valve (K-28's and K-36's)
For the 1.5" locos, these were used on a lot of standard gauge D&RGW equipment and other east coast/Canadian railroads.
These are not injectors. They are inspirators, so the operation is different. The starter valve is 2-stage, and the overflow must be opened and closed manually. The advantage is that they are more adjustable, and deliver hotter water than an injector.
Hancock H-N-L Inspirator.jpg

1.6” Scale Sellers Type “N” Lifting Injector
Very common on east coast railroads, perhaps as common as the Nathan Simplex.
Sellers Inj.--Class N and NS_Page_1.jpg

Nathan Top Mount Dual Check Valve
I've gotten a handful of requests for these, but it's definitely a limited market. I'm trying to gauge just how many I could realistically sell. Would need commitments for about 20 to proceed with this project.
Nathan Top Check.jpg

1" and 1.6" ALCO “Type G” power reverse (1.6" working or kit, 1" dummy or kit)
ALCO Type G.jpg

1" Scale Nathan 1921 Injector Starter Valve
Would love to make a 1" version of these!
1921_Starter_valve3.jpg
jeffsmith

Re: Future considerations from EE

Post by jeffsmith »

Hi Anthony,
As you know I am interested in 1.5" scale Nathan inspirator H-N-L and starter valves. Also the Nathan top mounted dual check valve. I would think a 3 feed Bulls Eye lubricator would be more ideal for 2.5" narrow gauge.
Could use all these right now.

Jeff Smith
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I would like the Nathan top mount dual check valves. The N&W used these on a lot of their equipment.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

jeffsmith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:28 pm Hi Anthony,
As you know I am interested in 1.5" scale Nathan inspirator H-N-L and starter valves. Also the Nathan top mounted dual check valve. I would think a 3 feed Bulls Eye lubricator would be more ideal for 2.5" narrow gauge.
Could use all these right now.

Jeff Smith
I agree regarding the 3 feed. I thought about that last night, but I had a picture of the 4 feed handy.
I hope there's enough interest to make the Hancock inspirators in both scales. I'd really love to make those.

Anthony
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:37 pm I would like the Nathan top mount dual check valves. The N&W used these on a lot of their equipment.
Pontiacguy1,
You're right! But look, the more modern version of that Nathan double check valve, used by N&W was slightly different. The check valves for the Worthington 6SA feedwater pump (left) had a spring inside and a different cover plate while that for the Nathan 4000 injector (right) was as shown in the elder drawing. Locomotive Cyclopedia 1947 contents a precise drawing of the prototype.
For my A 1239 I constructed this pretty complicated combined check valve of bronze soldered from some parts. Works fine as intended :)
I regret it was made in scale 1 in 10 :cry: . Scetches and photos are available, please look on my topic at Build Log for some more info.

Anthony,
This might be a nice project - a superb casting would look even more like the prototype. Sorry for not building in scale 1 1/2 " :(

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
Nathan check valve
Nathan check valve
Nathan check valve. Tapered valves with o-rings. Cross section 6 mm throughout.
Nathan check valve. Tapered valves with o-rings. Cross section 6 mm throughout.
Nathan double check valve, scale 1 in 10.
Nathan double check valve, scale 1 in 10.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

The hardest part about these projects is deciding which version of an appliance to make. I have drawings for easily 20 different variations of the top check valve, and no matter which one I pick it will inevitably be the wrong one for someone’s engine. But ultimately I have to pick one and commit to it.

I admittedly don’t know enough about the top mounted checks to determine which style was the most common, 2 injectors or 1 injector and 1 feedwater pump. But this is all still in the “dreaming” phase so there’s certainly time to pick a different type.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Out of curiosity where do you find drawings for all these appliances?
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Anthony

Being east coast, and having learned on a full size Sellers 7.5, I would like it. In 2.5” scale. I think they are very susceptible to different size cones, for different feeds.

Steve

Edit: and I think you can pick a size where a large 1.5” is about the size of a small 2.5. Just a different number on pattern.
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I admit to being biased, but the the Sellers injector and three-feed bullseye lubricator get my vote. Although my interest is mostly 2.5” scale, a large 1.5” scale Sellers injector could easily represent a smaller injector in 2.5” scale (or vice versa). One pull on the handle is all one needs to do to start it.
Last edited by Fender on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
KenG

Post by KenG »

2.5" scale 3 feed bullseye please.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Out of curiosity where do you find drawings for all these appliances?
I don't know if it's one of Anthony's sources, but Steamtown is a gold mine of Nathan drawings. We were able to get the drawings for the "Nathan Mfg. Co's. type 4131 U.S.A. Special non-lifting type with manual overflow" used on our USATC Consolidation, including the parts call out, instructions, performance information, and drawings for internal components. We also got drawings for the whistle and DV-4 lubricator. If it's Nathan, they probably have it.
ICC2411

Post by ICC2411 »

Hi Anthony, The one inch starter valve and the one inch power reverse. Keep up the great products!!!
Joe