Cell phone video: please, please, shoot horizontal

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Cell phone video: please, please, shoot horizontal

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Watching the news about the forest fires tonight I again saw a number of cell phone videos that would have been much better if framed horizontally.

Please, please, when you shoot video on your cell phone, hold it horizontally. As a former professional cinematographer and still photographer, I beg you, hold it horizontally. Here’s why: No. 1. When you shoot vertical you include overhead or sky and foreground that is almost always irrelevant to the subject. No. 2. 99.999 percent of the time the action moves horizontally. You want to give the viewer a little space in the frame for the action. Too often the vertical framing cuts off the action. No. 3. Human vision is optimized for horizontal perception. We look side-to-side far more than we look up and down and it is much more natural to have space to the sides rather than top and bottom.

So please, hold it horizontally. Your viewers will thank you.

(And hold it as steady as you can, and when you pan, pan about 1/4 as fast as you think and it will be about right.)
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Re: Cell phone video: please, please, shoot horizontal

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 pm Watching the news about the forest fires tonight I again saw a number of cell phone videos that would have been much better if framed horizontally.

Please, please, when you shoot video on your cell phone, hold it horizontally...

Better yet, use a real camera, not a phone pretending to be a camera.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Best quote i have seen on this subject was "not shooting in landscape is a crime against humanity" , I endorse this message :)

Jim.
www.northernsteam.com
JackF

Post by JackF »

The one exception is if you are taking a shot of the tallest tree in the world. :) :wink: :lol:

Jack.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Totally in agreement for landscape mode, but unfortunately cell phones in actual use is in portrait mode
( ever try to talk on a cell holding lengthwise ? ) and it's reflexive to start photographing in portrait mode
since the UI is geared towards phone use. It's an awkward device when held in landscape mode.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

One of my former students has been a photojournalist for a major newspaper for over 20 years, and has a few awards to his name. He was on vacation somewhere and somebody stepped up and, not knowing who he was, asked him if he would take a group photo of the family in front of some attraction. He obliged, and as he held the cell phone horizontally to encompass the entire group and the background she barked out at him, "Hold it the right way!" He just smiled, and did what she wanted.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

jcfx wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:03 pm Totally in agreement for landscape mode, but unfortunately cell phones in actual use is in portrait mode
( ever try to talk on a cell holding lengthwise ? ) and it's reflexive to start photographing in portrait mode
since the UI is geared towards phone use. It's an awkward device when held in landscape mode.
As I said, better to use a real camera.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

The really stupid thing is that the phone companies are putting up to five cameras on the back of the new phone's these days. You would think they would mount one rotated 90 degrees so that the phone can be held comfortably in portrait while the camera is in landscape

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

atunguyd wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 am The really stupid thing is that the phone companies are putting up to five cameras on the back of the new phone's these days. You would think they would mount one rotated 90 degrees so that the phone can be held comfortably in portrait while the camera is in landscape

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Now there's the idea. What an obvious solution!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
12L14

Post by 12L14 »

Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

LOL!!! Great video. Thanks for the laughs.
And I agree.
RussN
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:46 pm As I said, better to use a real camera.
But you can't make calls or text with a real camera !
:wink:

Couldn't agree with you more but the kool-ade has been drunk by the masses.