Beveling an edge on a piece of plate

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

olddude

Re: Beveling an edge on a piece of plate

Post by olddude »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:52 am Sorry, no, X axis, cutting side to side
Now I am cornfused. :mrgreen:
olddude

Post by olddude »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:52 pm This is a dull blade for a core splitter. (Mining stuff)
42.5 degrees.
Not a fancy set up, but it doesn't need to be.
Wouldn't be hard to make your own fixture, if you don't have an angle table. (That's what I did before I got the table)

100_1848.jpg

100_1849.jpg
I've been using pretty much the same setup just that I am nodding the head to the angle being cut and cutting to the edge of the table. If I had to do many of these I would make some kind of fixture to set them up in but the cutting edges I make all seem to be different ie, longer, thicker or thinner material, so everything changes.
olddude

Post by olddude »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:52 am Sorry, no, X axis, cutting side to side
Oh I see what you are saying. I've never tried that but I will the next time I have one to cut. I'm using a cheaper 2" face mill I got from Shars to cut these with and the extra width is helpful. Still trying to figure out speed and depth of cut in each pass without wrecking my tooling. I messed up a new set of inserts on the second go around the other day because one of the inserts loosened up for some reason. I tightened them up as tight as I could get them with that cheezy little tool that came with the cutter. maybe I'll try lock tite the next time.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

olddude wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 am

I've been using pretty much the same setup just that I am nodding the head to the angle being cut and cutting to the edge of the table. If I had to do many of these I would make some kind of fixture to set them up in but the cutting edges I make all seem to be different ie, longer, thicker or thinner material, so everything changes.
I bought another smaller angle table, shortly before Enco was absorbed.
Saves the time it takes to angle the head, or set it back to zero.
Well worth the investment, I think. Might be something to add to your wish list.
Small Angle Table.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I've never used my angle table. It took a year or so after I bought my multiposition vise before I needed it, but it was handy then! I don't know that a standard angle table is going to do much for the OP as his work pieces are 22" long. That would be a lot of overhang that would still have to be supported somehow. If there were a lot of these, though, I definitely would be making a fixture!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

whateg0 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 pm I've never used my angle table. It took a year or so after I bought my multiposition vise before I needed it, but it was handy then! I don't know that a standard angle table is going to do much for the OP as his work pieces are 22" long. That would be a lot of overhang that would still have to be supported somehow. If there were a lot of these, though, I definitely would be making a fixture!
Same ol' thing.....just depends on the work you are doing.
I've used mine quite a bit. Mostly the small one now, of which I'm glad. The big one is heavy, and not user friendly to pack over to the mill.

I just counted, and the doo-dad in the above pic, I have made 140 of those little weldments. 2 angled holes per tube.
And the core splitter blades, probably about half that.

I have beveled and grooved long pieces, longer than the table, by repositioning a few times. Clamp on some blocks for a fence, of sorts, and bevel/groove, slide down & clamp, and do it again. Not perfect, but has been easily acceptable if I'm careful, and it's hard to tell.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pmI have beveled and grooved long pieces, longer than the table, by repositioning a few times. Clamp on some blocks for a fence, of sorts, and bevel/groove, slide down & clamp, and do it again. Not perfect, but has been easily acceptable if I'm careful, and it's hard to tell.
Yeah, a lot of times, it's not critical that the edges are perfect. I've gotten into many a "discussion" where somebody insists that "a wrecking ball must be a perfect sphere +/- 0.0001". Sometimes close enough is close enough! :D

Dave
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've known guys like that!
I replaced the name sticker on one guy's hardhat, with a new and more fitting one.
POMTTTMS Tom

(Plus Or Minus Ten To The Minus Seventh)

;)
olddude

Post by olddude »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:56 am
olddude wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 am

I bought another smaller angle table, shortly before Enco was absorbed.
Saves the time it takes to angle the head, or set it back to zero.
Well worth the investment, I think. Might be something to add to your wish list.

Small Angle Table.jpg
Yes, I can see something like that would be handy at times. I haven't run across one in my price range so far but I still have my eye out. I have a bunch of tools that I have had for years and never got the chance to try them out. Now that I'm done with my shop and I have a place to work out of hopefully I'll get the chance to use some of this stuff. I don't do all that much real work with this stuff just mainly repair work on the equipment I build and use around the farm.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

For your stuff around the farm, I'd think a crudely built "sine plate" would work fine, then.

Dave
olddude

Post by olddude »

whateg0 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 am For your stuff around the farm, I'd think a crudely built "sine plate" would work fine, then.

Dave
Just curious.....what would you make something like that out of?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

If I was making it out of stuff I have on the rack, a couple pieces of 1/2"x4" flat stock and some 3/4" CRS round stock. I would probably tack weld the round stock to the base, then allow the top plate to hinge on it. Tack another piece of 3/4" round to the top at the other end at whatever distance you want to use. Then a sliding clamp on the side to lock it at whatever angle you choose.
sine plate.jpg
sine plate.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Dave