Menards Milling & Drilling Machine DL300-150

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JeffofCT

Menards Milling & Drilling Machine DL300-150

Post by JeffofCT »

I have a 3/4 HP Milling & Drilling Machine branded by Menards. Model number DL300-150. It was manufactured in Taiwan in 1984. I purchased it second hand and has been sitting a while with many other projects. It has a chuck instead of a collet...and not sure if the chuck is removable. There is no table and not sure if a table was an option or removed over the years.

I do not know anything about it and cannot find anything online. I'm an amateur blacksmith interested in doing some very basic milling of mild to medium carbon steel. I've considered fitting it with a small 8-10" rotary table. I am interested in hearing people's recommendations. Should I put a little more money into a table/rotary table or just look around for an Enco or Rong Fu style machine? Thanks. Jeff
IMG-2493.jpg
IMG-2494.jpg
NP317

Re: Menards Milling & Drilling Machine DL300-150

Post by NP317 »

My fist milling machine was based on that machine. And Yes, it had an X-Y table.
Limited rigidity, but I managed to mill many items on it successfully.
RussN
JeffofCT

Post by JeffofCT »

Thank you NP317. I take it that an end mill is used with the chuck and not a collet. Correct? In your opinion, what is the largest end mill size this machine can handle? 1/4"...probably. 3/8" maybe????
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Do not use a endmill in a drill chuck!! loosen that hex bolthead on the top cover ,give it a rap with a hammer which should loosen the drill chuck shank/adapter . Then loosen that draw bar and when free the chuck should come free. Once out post a picture and we can tell you what style collets you will need. personally I would look for something that the head can be raised/lowered . Spend your money on something more usuable, that thing is EXTREMELY limited !!!
www.chaski.com
NP317

Post by NP317 »

What John said.
My mill like yours used R8 collects, and I had a separate Jacobs-type chuck with an R8 mount for drilling.
That's what is installed in your mill.
That mill does have a round column vertical adjustment of the head, plus the quill vertical motion.
Without an X-Y table it is not very useful. The original was reasonably OK.

I managed to machine the stainless steel rods for my Mikado on that mill.
Pic attached.
Attached is also a picture of the mill, long replaced by a Bridgeport clone.
RussN
Rods1small.jpg
MillRods1 sml.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 pm I managed to machine the stainless steel rods for my Mikado on that mill.
Wow! :shock:

A testament to dogged determination. :wink:

The only thing I can think of that would have been more difficult would be if your choice was a plain old drill press.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

OH !!! With NP317's pictures with the head hung off the side like it is for the tilt that adds a new definition to the term flexible flyer !!! If it had the X-Y table would still be better than nothing ,just not by much.

NP317 I can only agree with Harold about determination !!!!
www.chaski.com
JeffofCT

Post by JeffofCT »

NP317: Impressive indeed. What size table did you have on that bench top mill?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jeff:
I don't remember exactly, but the table was approximately 26" x 6".

Harold: Your comments make me laugh.
When we have limited machining capabilities, we make small cuts. Interesting to do with stainless!
I traded time for material removal rates.
'Sounds like something you would teach! :lol:

I won that battle in the end.
RussN
MillRods3 sml.jpg
ValveGearOn 1 sml.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

I thought I recognized that mill in the first picture, Russ's picture confirmed it. They appear to be a fairly close copy of the American made Rusnok mills. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rusnok/
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And my version mill was labeled as built in Taiwan.
When using it I had to make sure everything was aligned and tied down as tight as possible.
Frequent re-alignments were normal.
RussN
pete

Post by pete »

I've never even seen one of the American Rusnok mills in person Russ, but from everything I've read about them they were generally regarded as a pretty decent light weight bench top mill. I wonder what got skipped with those Taiwanese versions to make that much difference. Eye ball estimating yours appears to be a bit larger and have a much longer and wider table than the originals as well.