BR55/G8.1 Locomotive Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

datman

Re: BR55/G8.1 Locomotive Project

Post by datman »

Hi Asteamhead,

Thanks for the reply, the only marking I put on the drawings is the red circle I put on there. Now that I have just written that, I see I failed to point to the points of interest.

What I cannot read is the designations in the red circle, I cannot make sense of the symbols/markings.

I would like to have a fairly scale looking fasteners (Is that realistic?).

Thanks
Ian
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ian,
I think I’m seeing:
No 8

And

No 5

Would that be metric number 8 and 5? Does that make sense?
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I’m sure of it now. The N has a little curl top left, and the little o has a line under it.
datman

Post by datman »

Thanks makinsmoke, I would tend to agree with you. But what is it referring to? Maybe it references a chart that should be with the drawings?
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Hi Ian,

regarding to your question I've contacted my friend Sven, who is very knowledgeable in things like these.

Here are his statement:
The "symbols/markings" denotes thread sizes.
These were handled differently in each locomotive factory, because of a missing common "thread standard" in Germany at that time.
The "thread numbers" were listed on an separate "table" or on an additional drawing sheet and they were numbered consecutively.
They were entered then in the shop drawings as: No.1 ... No.5 ... No.8 etc.
The lack of a readable "standard lettering" on the drawings makes it even more difficult.
So, there should be a related table somewhere.

Cheers
Tom
datman

Post by datman »

Short Line Tom wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:20 am Hi Ian,

regarding to your question I've contacted my friend Sven, who is very knowledgeable in things like these.

Here are his statement:
The "symbols/markings" denotes thread sizes.
These were handled differently in each locomotive factory, because of a missing common "thread standard" in Germany at that time.
The "thread numbers" were listed on an separate "table" or on an additional drawing sheet and they were numbered consecutively.
They were entered then in the shop drawings as: No.1 ... No.5 ... No.8 etc.
The lack of a readable "standard lettering" on the drawings makes it even more difficult.
So, there should be a related table somewhere.

Cheers
Tom
Thanks Tom,

Very interesting information. I have acquired all I can get document wise of the locomotive. Looks like I will just scale of drawing to get an approximate size.

Ian
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Ian,
you're welcome.

datman wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 am Looks like I will just scale of drawing to get an approximate size.
This is the proper and most effective decision in any case. :wink:

Cheers
Tom
datman

Post by datman »

Hi,

I am building in 1" scale or 5" Gauge. How much sideways float does one allow in the axles? How much clearance between the axleboxes and horns?

Thanks
Ian
datman

Post by datman »

Now that I have found a suitable frame width I have had to reduce the lower width the my firebox to fit it between the frames. With this reduction, the current area is 70mm x 196mm (2.76" x 7.72"). I have lost 9% grate surface area, should I worry about this? Lengthen the firebox to make up for it?

Thanks
Ian
datman

Post by datman »

Hi,

Is there any proper wheel standards? I have been to a few different websites (http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... l_Standard, https://www.dbc-d.de/gleisstandard.htm) and looked at different plans, there is no consistency. So I am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks
Ian
datman

Post by datman »

datman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:54 am Hi,

I am building in 1" scale or 5" Gauge. How much sideways float does one allow in the axles? How much clearance between the axleboxes and horns?

Thanks
Ian
I have come upon some new information for me. It was mentioned that the drive wheels have no sideways float which seems to make sense to me.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

datman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 am Hi,

Is there any proper wheel standards? I have been to a few different websites (http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... l_Standard, https://www.dbc-d.de/gleisstandard.htm) and looked at different plans, there is no consistency. So I am not sure where to go from here.
Thanks
Ian
I would stick with the IBLS standards.
RussN