Freelanced D&RG K-36 for sale (NZ, Ships worldwide, re-gaugeable)

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Harlock

Freelanced D&RG K-36 for sale (NZ, Ships worldwide, re-gaugeable)

Post by Harlock »

480 is a freelance 7 1/4 inch gauge (can be re-gauged to 7.5") 2.5" scale Denver & Rio Grande K-36 model built by Harold Sinclair here in New Zealand. This engine has just recently gone under a ground up overhaul.

This included replacing the copper heat exchanger in the Briggs type boiler firebox with a new duplex one, note this is a bolt on accessory and can be easily by passed or replaced with a steel or copper one we can send the drawings down for anyone who buys the engine.

Since doing this repair we now have the capability of washing the boiler out completely something which couldn't be done beforehand.
All the driving wheels have come out and have had the tires turned and bearings checked over.

The connecting rods and bushings have been looked over while the work was being carried out we decided it was necessary to replace the aging brake pads.

The two air and water steam pumps have been stripped and overhauled and run a charm and shouldn't give any issues for many years to come.

The mechanical oil and water pumps have been stripped and items replaced where needed and now work flawlessly.

It also has an injector for extra capacity to fill the boiler. The locomotive will have a new NZ boiler ticket valid for 4 years.

Note this engine weighs around 600 Kg so you'll have to have a van or trailer equipped with both rails and tie down points to transport. Can also be crated and shipped anywhere in the world.

We are looking for $30,000 USD for this model.

PM me if interested.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1560931237840.jpg
FB_IMG_1560931231654.jpg
FB_IMG_1560931225721.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Re: Freelanced D&RG K-36 for sale (NZ, Ships worldwide, re-gaugeable)

Post by Harlock »

I now have some dimensions for this beastie.

Engine is 80" long 30" tall and 26" wide
Tender is 60" long 28" tall and 26" wide

Boiler is 12 inch barrel and approximately 43 inches long.

3.5 inch bore on the cylinders

Drivers are 7.75" diameter.

Also attached is a cab photo. I am still on the lookout for a good photo with person for scale.

Best,

-Mike
Attachments
cab.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Superb!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Here is a good shot with an engineer on board. It's slightly smaller than Tom Miller's K-36 but still a substantial engine weighing over 1,300 lbs. I'd say this would make a good logging mike, or freelanced engine for any fictional road, or with a good amount of cosmetic work look like an actual D&RG locomotive.
Attachments
_MG_1589.JPG
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I found a couple more photos I took of this engine myself a few years ago. The articulated it is standing next to in the last shot was also built by Harold Sinclair, you can see the family resemblance. Harold was a prolific model builder and used many of the same parts on all of his engines.
Attachments
18-01-01_New-Zealand-8359.jpg
18-01-01_New-Zealand-8366.jpg
18-01-01_New-Zealand-8466.jpg
18-01-01_New-Zealand-8481.jpg