AlphaTIG 200x

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

AlphaTIG 200x

Post by ctwo »

I know Steve has one and I just found a package with tank and cart for less than new price.

Is there any reason I should not get it, besides a 3hr drive?

I admit, all those knobs scare me. Why are there like 32 knobs on that thing?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: AlphaTIG 200x

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:44 amI admit, all those knobs scare me. Why are there like 32 knobs on that thing?
I remember thinking that very same thing when Steve posted a pic of his. :D (I still use my 45+ year old Miller transformer based TIG)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Agreed....what's with all the knobs?
Hard to beat the ol' transformer machines. Simple, and oh so smooth.

My newer Lincoln has 4 knobs. I set them after I bought it with a little playing around, and since, have only changed one. I suspect the same will be true with the AlphaTig....just more knobs to not-adjust. :)

Where is Steve anyway????

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

All those knobs give you way more control of how the welder works. If you need that control you will want all of them. If you don't need all of them, find out the few you do and leave the rest alone.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

It was too good a deal so had to get it. 1500 psi in the tank and plenty of rods and electrodes. I just gotta learn how to use it - and the knobs all make sense.
Attachments
alphatig.jpg
first-tig-weld-20200201_141651.jpg
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Looks like a new one.

Nice score!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Looks like a sweet deal you got there, you'll enjoy tig welding, both in steel and aluminum.
I know I prefer tig over mig after getting my feet wet with mig welding.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Dialing it in on a newer piece. The beads are inconsistent because I was standing, bent over the piece, which was clamped to a wobbly tire changer, and I was bare knuckle welding so could not rest my hands on anything.

After that, I clamped that other piece of angle and attempted a lap joint. I had a bead going on the base metal but the angle piece just melted and curled away from the bead. Now that stuff had been outside for many years and I've had it kicking around for 20 years. Even though I sanded and gave it a good SS wire brushing, it must have an impenetrable coating of AL2O3.

The top 3 were right to left and just the torch as I increased the current up from about 60A to 100A, and it looked like I was getting a good puddle at the top end. The 4th was run over again but with filler, and now going left to right. I increased amps to 115 and the bottom bead was shiny (~40% cleaning or electrode positive). I think next I will take that piece and cut in half for a butt weld.
Attachments
tig-welds-20200204_092236.jpg
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

One issue I have with tigging aluminum is inside corner joints, I never seem to to be able to
keep the arc steady it jumps from one side to the other.
Lap and butt joints I did well with as long as I remembered to ease up on the pedal once the puddle formed :oops:
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

jcfx wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:06 am One issue I have with tigging aluminum is inside corner joints, I never seem to to be able to
keep the arc steady it jumps from one side to the other.
Lap and butt joints I did well with as long as I remembered to ease up on the pedal once the puddle formed :oops:
I was just watching a video demonstrating various settings and results. The guy said 180 Hz is good for those fillet joints.