Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

piedmontg

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by piedmontg »

I purchased this Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill with an adaptor for a Bridgeport M Head. There is a unique adaptor for an M Head on the machine. I saw one of these at the North American Model Engineering Society Show last April. They were being advertised in HSM. During the summer I made arrangements to purchase one. I gave my specifications to the seller of these and he came through with a very unique unit. In late fall it was delivered. The 8540 was one he had for some time in storage. It was clean enough but the oil and grease was hard, so I took it all apart and cleaned it up. Upon doing that I discovered the mill had never been used. There were no chips anywhere other than some bronze ones under the table, from drilling alignment holes for the X axis nut and absolutely no shinny spots on any of the ways or gibs. So as near as I could tell brand new, unless someone disassembled the thing and only left certain chips! The M – Head was brand new still in the box, original expanding foam packing. It had all the original wrenches. It was thought to be a 2MT as that was what was on a card in the spindle. It turned after I tried putting a 2MT collet in the spindle that it was really a B-3 (a mini Duplicate of the R8). I understand they are not found often. I got a nice set of B-3 Collets from the seller. It also came with an unused Clausing 8636 vise that was sold with this mill. I have only done a few projects on it but look forward to more.

So every once in a while there is one out there! Like that Bridgeport above.

Bob
Clausing-Bridgeport-Mill--EM-2.jpg
Clausing-Bridgeport-Mill--EM-3.jpg
M-Head-B3--EM-1.jpg
M-Head-B3--EM-2.jpg
Clausing-Vise-8636.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

Wow that has to be a rare and very lucky find Bob. Given at least some chips in the paint then it must have been sitting out on a floor some where but not being used. My guess is that might have come out a high school shop or maybe a research labs tool room.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Bought the same Clausing mill about a year ago . Looks like it was used once or twice. Came with the overarm supports and 3 horizontal arbors still new in the boxes. The Bridgeport adaptor would be a nice addition. Haven't decided yet whether I'll keep the machine or sell it
ptross

Post by ptross »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:44 pm Here’s my little Burke...
I am just beginning to clean up a #4 similar to yours. It hasn't run in 30 years and I'm trying to make sure I have correct lube in the necessary spots. Mine has the Master gearhead motor. do you know what lube it takes? I'm guessing there is bearing grease for the motor bearings and also a lube for the gear chamber? Can you offer any advice?
thanks,
Peter
spro

Post by spro »

I also have a Burke #4 . I don't think The Master Gearhead motor is too fussy about the lube but did what i could relying on the specs. Even if I don't use it for awhile, I turn over a few revs to help keep things from seizing. I know I drained it and relubed but can't remember. I also had to replace the main spindle bearings. Big Timken jobs, right heavy for a machine this size. The #4 is deceptive number because 04 would closer, if we talk sizes. Still, it had Brown & Sharpe #9 in the spindle and is robust.
spro

Post by spro »

The combination of the the Master Gearhead and heavy belt presents a lot of force. Many of the Burke 4 have been repowered by other motors but they don't know the original reduction. The Master Gear heads weigh near what the mill wheighs. They hung out the back and many were gone. Even with a cheap phase converter, I've seen the power that gear rmotor that can do. Remember there is replacement wiring because we cannot assume anything the same is when it was new. Interesting mills and a model with swivel table/ universal table. Mine isn't.
spro

Post by spro »

I totally glossed past the remarkable Clausing Milling machine. I had never seen that support fixture. So cool!
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Hi

For those interested in the support fixture, here it is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertical-Milli ... SwmoFczejQ

Bob
12L14

Post by 12L14 »

My new toy and its milling attachment(no matter how hard I try, just can't call it headstock or milling head).
Attachments
defum FKG.jpg
defum FKG.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
milling attachment a.jpg
milling attachment a.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
milling attachment b.jpg
milling attachment b.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

It is interesting to start back at the beginning of these posts, 2010, and see that many photos are now missing. This is one of the problems of storing photos, etc., on another site, it may go POOF!

Yahoo did this to all its Groups this December, and left only a shell of email addresses, which is absured!

As one of the owners of Yahoo Brown & Sharpe I put it out of its misery a few days ago.

Luckily, one of the guys put it into a newer list for Groups:https://groups.io/g/BrownandSharpe

How long that will last is an unknown. Also when transferring photos to the new Group many photos lost their owner identity.
B&S YAHOO.png
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

The internet does not last forever. Many said....once it’s on the net, it never goes away. Between Yahoo Groups and photoshop.... it’s now evident that the net is fragile. Tons of great forum discussions evaporated when geocities went bust. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tim9lives wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:23 pm...once it’s on the net, it never goes away.
The stuff that goes away is the stuff that you want to keep.

The stuff that never goes away is the stuff that you just want to go away.

I'm SO glad we didn't have facebook when I was in college.

Steve