Enfield p14 question

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

Enfield p14 question

Post by heisler0 »

Ok starting on next project I picked up a p14 action from a supplier in pa. it arrived with barrel and receiver and everything else was in plastic bag. which is fine but when going thru pieces and assembling to make sure what I had and didn't have I am having trouble getting bottom metal installed. while I have not done anything with a p14 before thinking maybe I am doing something wrong. so what's going on is the magazine sleeve that goes from bottom metal to receiver appears to be to long to fit inside of receiver. there are ears on from and back which I assume fit inside receiver opening? they are roughly 1/16" to long? Would this be something that varies between receiver's maybe needs fitting to this particular action if my bag of parts where not originally for this receiver?
heisler0

Re: Enfield p14 question

Post by heisler0 »

Well figured out the problem. The receiver is a p14 and the parts bag is for a m1917
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Daoh! That sucks.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
TRX

Post by TRX »

In case you didn't know, Nicolaus & Associates has a book with the US Army Ordnance drawings for the P17.

https://www.nicolausassociates.com/M1917.htm

It has all the toleranced drawings, heat treat, and finish information to make a P17 from scratch.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

So the saga continues! Made a little mistakes and cut extractor grove 90* out so my next question is is it exceptable to cut a second one in proper location or did I trash the barrel don't want to cut barrel down as it is a light barrel and there is not much there to begin with any and all suggestions or opinions are welcome and appreciated. Chambering to 30-40 A.I.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I have a 300 WM with a .311 bore I had a smith chamber what was a 303 BR for me. I hand load .311 bullets for it, it is a wonderful rifle. enjoy your project.