new to the forum! looking for Rockwell knowledge

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

belterskelter

new to the forum! looking for Rockwell knowledge

Post by belterskelter »

Hey folks new to the forum,

I have been playing around with my vintage south bend lathe and going to be getting a rockwell mill..

I will be using these machines to help me produce Steel Bicycle Frames.

the Rockwell 66-530 will be new to me from a friend.
It will be doing tube mitring, slots and toolmaking for frame building,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5QUZim1vNA3bwFS98

Is there any must haves or things to take care of with these machines?
Any tips and tricks??
I am excited that it will fit in my small shop and wont need major machinery to move it.

I have used larger fancy mills in the past with DRO ect but want to keep learning!!!!!
choprboy

Re: new to the forum! looking for Rockwell knowledge

Post by choprboy »

Not sure what a Rockwell 66-530 is, haven't heard that designation before and a search doesn't bring up much. You picture is of a Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill. There are quite a few threads on the forum concerning the mill.

Get a couple pickle jars and place them inside the base, one below the base drain hole (with a stub of 3/4" pipe as I recall) and one below the jack screw, to catch oil drippings.
belterskelter

Post by belterskelter »

Hey choprboy ya was just reading the number on the motor but ya... new to this..

Oil catch is smart !
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

There is generally a name plate on the front of the base plate and a logo plate on the front of the base cabinet. On the backside of the base plate is the model/serial number plate for the mill, which can be looked up to determine the manufacturer date. The serial number might also be stamped on either the top or back of the column, or on the top of the vertical way.

After you get the mill sorted out, one of the first projects you may want to do is to drill and fit a spring-loaded retention ball into the vertical crank handle. It has a tendency to fall off the shaft while your working, eventually leading to the handle cracking. Many (including mine) have been welded back together, yours appears to be undamaged so far.
belterskelter

Post by belterskelter »

this is the mill..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uFjEuBz5nsdVQffK9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VzDqy1itCBb4grXW7

now i need to figure out the best way to get power to it

I have 110 of course

but I do have 220 ( the old hot tub was attached there

so what to do
Phaser or VFD??
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

VFDs are a lot easier and very reasonable in price...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Not sure about that model, but you may be able to find information here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockwellmillers/

You may find info here, but Rockwell is listed in several places, like Delta:
http://vintagemachinery.org

Steve
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

How to get power can be a hard decision. Initially I went with a VFD for my first 3 phase machine.

The problem with a VFD is each 3 phase motor needs a VFD.
When it came time to power a Famco mill I learned there are 2 3 phase motors and they can not be powered by a single VFD...
A rotary phase converter fixed that issue. It also powered the surface grinder, as well as a horizontal mill very much like yours...

A rotary phase converter is noisy. A VFD is quiet...
The price is very similar...
belterskelter

Post by belterskelter »

Lazz wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 am How to get power can be a hard decision. Initially I went with a VFD for my first 3 phase machine.

The problem with a VFD is each 3 phase motor needs a VFD.
When it came time to power a Famco mill I learned there are 2 3 phase motors and they can not be powered by a single VFD...
A rotary phase converter fixed that issue. It also powered the surface grinder, as well as a horizontal mill very much like yours...

A rotary phase converter is noisy. A VFD is quiet...
The price is very similar...
Most of the tools I have are 110v
the mill is the only 3 phase so a vfd I think is what I want but..... which one do I get?? I am hearing getting a 1 hp VFD for 1/2 hp motor is that the jam??
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

As a VFD user and not an expert. Using a 1 hp vfd to power a 1/2 hp motor sounds good to me. More vfd hp than motor hp has worked for me in the past. More motor hp than vfd hp experinces have not worked as well.

As of which one thats a harder question.... I have bought used name brands, new cheapo Chinese junk, and new decent brands.
All of which have worked for me.

An new or slightly used allen bradley is a great quality VFD... but the first NOS I saw on ebay was over $500
When a cheapo chinese is less than $75 shipped it makes it hard to suggest the allen bradley...

Your call..
I no longer buy the cheapo chinese stuff if there is any other alternative.
Paying more for stuff made in places with a better stance on human rights is an investment in humanities future.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

A-B / Hitachi / Siemens / GE (Teco) / Westinghouse / Toshiba / Schneider / Eaton all make very good VFD. I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I have worked with and respect....and continue to purchase.

you don't have to worry about motoring a 1/2 VFD with a 1/2 hp motor..they all have hard current limits.

HOWEVER...if someday you have a 1 hp motor and NEED 1 HP -> you will have problems with a 1/2 VFD because the current limiting will do what it is supposed to do...

the price difference between a 1 hp and a 1/2 HP vfd is minimal...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.