Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by NP317 »

FKreider wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm
Jaxian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 am Well, I wasn't going to post a picture of my mill as it looks like junk compared to some of the restored beauty's in this thread but I figured if after 3+ years and 18 pages of posts I didn't see one Lagun I should put it in here.

It's not pretty but it works really, really well. Surprised there aren't more on here since the company is still around and making them. Granted they are kinda pricey, but you can get great deals on used ones now. They are one of the few 'clone' mills that I have seen that in my opinion exceed normal Bridgeport's in quality and functionality (please don't flame, just my opinion, not trying to make anyone mad).

Mine isn't anything special it's a FTV-1 with powerfeeds on the X and Y axis. It has a 4 axis DRO X,Y,Z,Q. I know the quill one is weird but I got so used to having one on a previous machine I felt lost without it. Also, yes there is a Bridgeport Cherrying head hanging on the back awaiting restoration. Or at least being made good enough so I can use it. I can't wait to cut convex and concave shapes, should be fun.
Any chance you could post or send me some detail pictures of your quill DRO scale mounting?

I have a Lagun FT-1 and I am looking to put a 3-axis DRO on the machine and I am thinking of putting the Z scale on the quill vs. the knee. That is unless someone on here can tell me why it would be better to have it on the knee??
FKreider:
Search for and look at this discussion thread in the Milling Machine subject:
"Inexpensive DRO"
Especially on Page 2.
I posted some pics of the installation of a 4-axis DRO Pros system on my South Bend 1027 milling machine, including on the quill.
I can send you more pics as needed. Let me know your needs.
~RussN
plumberzpieco

Post by plumberzpieco »

Picked this home shop use One owner Bridgeport up a few months ago. It’s a 9x42 3/4hp single phase unit.
F7B142CB-B1F7-4F63-ADC0-E541A2A15C4C.jpeg
EBCFF93C-1A9A-4714-A3BC-C6B51ECE9201.jpeg
138AF50D-EE5C-44D0-9231-0959E94F36F0.jpeg
C1B447D3-044A-4BA3-AC53-586A233CE03A.jpeg
Oooh and this beauty too came home when I decided not put the Monarch 10ee on my Liftgate, so I had to come home with something.
C9348768-A3E5-43A6-8B39-46BA520768B6.jpeg
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I probably posted this years ago, but here again is the last mill I acquired, I paid $500 for it.

Took it apart for cleaning and repair, and the fact it weighed too much for me to handle as one unit.

I may have paid $500 for it, but that new DRO cost me over 2 Grand; can't take it with me!

The second video has that mill in action, the big round casting milled on the Rotary Table was for holding the bearings for Turntable #2.

Right now the mill is covered in sawdust, I'm making roofs for passenger cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-sfBZWdyPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7Cou5zVi0
spro

Post by spro »

Your videos are great and examples of choosing the right machinery to be rebuilt. Very nice work and instructional for decades. We are fortunate to have great men, as you, here.
Last edited by spro on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Wow! You are far more energetic than I am! Beautiful work.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
discodan

Post by discodan »

20190301_204236.jpg
Pratt & Whitney 3C with variable speed Craftsman motor. No accessories came with it, just one collet.
spro

Post by spro »

Anything Pratt & Whitney made was precision. There was a reason for this mill. The bearings are high speed and a 3C arbor is small-for smaller milling wheels. It was larger in stature to be rigid and could zip through banks of smaller items. I probably should have read about it first but that is what I see.
James A

Post by James A »

Here's mine before my shop was finished
Attachments
20160815_171954.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Before, well your Frejoth is really neat. Power feeds all over and variable speed.
I need to clean up about 3C . The Pratt & Whitney#3C milling machine used 3PW collets I think. They would be different from regular 3C .?
Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave »

I suppose I ought to upload some pics of mine, who knows, someone might recognise it!
mill on trailer front countryside slightly cropped.jpg
I'm led to believe it's an Italian "Test 2U" from the early 60's, someone on PM had a later model with slightly different motor and electricals, more info' would be good!

A couple of weeks after buying, I robbed a guy on Ebay - nobody else bid, starting at £25
Toolholder daylight robbery 2.jpg
And I raided the World's Best Skip - mostly sharp, a lot carbide
Skip Raid mills scaled.jpg
And the workshop manager knows I give Old Tools a good home - 15" Hoffmann rotary table! Actually not WAY too big for the mill!
15 inch rotary table in box.jpg
Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
Patio

Post by Patio »

Nice score Dave!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave »

Wasn't too shabby Pat, £470 UK, plus about £150 to hire trailer and Hilux to tow it home - it had a couple of faults, one I've fixed (knee elevation screw had lost its keeper, quick fix) and one still to do (electrics need sorting out, main motor contactor seems to be stuck closed so it starts up when plugged in) - had to build an RPC to power it, three separate 3-phase motors (spindle, XYZ power feeds, coolant pump) so VFD wouldn't be cheap or easy ):(

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader