New York Central J1e

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: New York Central J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are a few more. The first shows the top being spun on the same die that was used to form the sides. The top and side were both trimmed using the same form die and the lathe. The second photo shows the dome top and side fitted together ready for welding. In the third photo the dome casing has been trimmed and is now having the flare where it meets the boiler formed. This is just done by eye and trial. Form a little and test the fit. Then trim a little and form some more. The trimming was first done with snips and as forming proceeded fine trimming was done with the disc sander and sanding drum. In the next photo there is an assortment of forming hammers and dollies. these have been made up as needed over the years. The round headed hammer with the white head is for brass and copper, it's head is made of teflon so as not to damage the softer metal. Finally in the last photo the steam dome casing is on the boiler. It will get a good scrub with metal prep, little dab of spot putty here and there, some primer, and then some satin black. To me this is much easier and a whole lot faster then making a casting, unless you need a dozen or so.
Attachments
SteamDomeCasing4.jpg
SteamDomeCasing5.jpg
SteamDomeCasing6.jpg
SteamDomeCasing7.jpg
SteamDomeCasing8.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are some shote of the safety valve casing. Basically the same little dodge as the steam dome casing, but instead of a top a bit of half round is run around the upper edge. The flare around the bottom was formed on a smaller dolly 3/8" as opposed to 5/8" for the steam dome casing.
Attachments
SafetyValveCasing1.jpg
SafetyValveCasing2.jpg
SafetyValveCasing3.jpg
SafetyValveCasing4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Last one for now.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
View.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies for you to look at. First is a peek at the throttle rod jaws, made up of free machining brass with case hardened pins 1/8" with a #4-48 thread . The throttle rod compensator lever and the throttle lever have silicon bronze bushings for the case hardened pins to work in. The slots in the nuts for the tiny cotter pins is .025". The cotter pins .020". The second photo is just for fun. I just love backlit shots of steam locomotives. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
ThrottleRodJaws.jpg
ThrottleRod.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is an update on the Hudson. These engines had a interesting shroud around the whistle very similar to the Nickel Plate Berkshires. I guess it was to project the sound away from the cab and to save the crew's ears a bit. Fortunately a drawing was on hand for this little trinket, that always makes thing easier.
Attachments
WhistleShroud.jpg
WhistleShroud2.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are a few more. Just a bit more plumbing and a few more little details and it will be time for disassembly and then paint. Some things are still at the foundry like the trailing truck booster and flexible connections, the Barco low water alarm and the modern brake heads and shoes. There will be some dummy brake rigging on the lead truck. Also waiting for one of Jim Kreiders really great sounding whistles. It will hide down between the frames as it is just too big to be disguised as an air tank under the running board. Other little bits still to be added are a brake hose on the pilot and a signal line. I would like to use a one inch scale brake hose for the signal line. Does anyone know where to get one? And assorted grab irons and steps here and there, and some conduit for the headlamp and markers. No shortage of things to do.
Jack
Attachments
Lt..jpg
Rt.1.jpg
Rt.2.jpg
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Wow jack. your work is beyond amazing. It really has/is influencing me. Again, amazing work and keep it up!
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Hello Jack,

For a one inch brake valve and glad hand, you might want to check with Howard Gorin. I believe I got at least the glad hands from him and maybe the plug valve casting as well.

It could be that I got the 1/8 plug valve casting from Railroad Warehouse and modified it to my needs to make up the train air signal line on my Mikado. If Howard does not have the plug valve unit let me know and perhaps I may have one in the spare parts department as getting one of anything from RR Warehouse is next to impossible.

Robert
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Jack,

Lonnie at 1" RR Supply has them in die cast aluminum.
Matt Mason
Steampipe

Post by Steampipe »

Jacks fine J1E want me to share my own pics of my J1e when I aquired in 2004. Built by Louis and Rich Arnold. Its lacking a few of the fine trinkets that Jack so wonderfully making here.
Attachments
Hudson face.jpg
running gear2.jpg
generator.jpg
Profile2.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

Found some bits and pieces that may help in your decision.

The air hose glad hand is definitely from Howard.

The air line casting at the top is from RRwarehouse. It is an old Railroad Supply part which I cut apart and adjust as needed with 1/8 brass rod to achieve the correct spacing. The 1/8 45 degree angle castings are hard to find so I recycle them as well.

If you need a casting, let me know.

Robert
Attachments
Train Air Signal pieces.jpg
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

The other casting with the straight cock and elbow is a casting that I make.

Regards, HG