Machine Run Time

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Machine Run Time

Post by ctwo »

I wanted to machine a custom coin 2" diameter in leaded steel, just like any common currency but larger. I use programs like scorch f-engrave v-carve or lazy cam. I'd be using 1/8" ball mill and a 60 degree D-bit with a 0.005" tip.

I am getting run time of 2 hrs roughing and finish of 1 hr. This is to feature depth of 15 thou and 5 thou passes. I felt like it was pushing it at 6 and 4 ipm with a top spindle speed of 3500.

That seems incredibly too long. Shouldn't something like that take 20 mins?

I looked up chip load for a 1/16" EM and saw a couple tenths. That results in a SFM of 54 and feed of 1.4 ipm, and much slower for the D-bit. It'd be all day. :|
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Re: Machine Run Time

Post by Harold_V »

You would be well served to talk with Doug Edwards, a reader of this board. He makes his living making dies (molds in which the waxes are made) for investment castings, and is extremely well acquainted with 3D machining. I think you'll discover that the time you are talking about isn't realistic. Cuts with small cutters demand fine feed rates, and equally fine stepover and depth of cut per pass. I have no doubt that some of the dies he's made took eight or more hours for the finish pass alone, and he has a spindle speed that exceeds yours by far. Perhaps he'll see this and comment. If not, perhaps you can contact him via PM and ask his opinion.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The numbers come out as they do and I know most people doing this kind of work will be running a 50k RPM spindle. Even then I am getting 10 ipm. The work I see on youtube is hard to judge MT as there are cuts and time lapse, but I have a sense of machine speed on the real-time bits and they seem to move quicker than that.

For example, there seems to be quite a bit of real-time footage in this video, and that bit is moving...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t_t8Sp0fAg

This motorcycle took about 40 mins of machine time and did not break or wear out any bit, but does not have the detail I am wanting.
Attachments
motorcycle-20200118_164555.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

with smaller tools, even 50K RPM is not enough and 20 minutes a very unrealistic number at the RPM available to you

if you are serious about this, you may want to look at a HF motor spindle that you can 'attach' to your existing machine with a dedicated tool attached.

THEN you can go to town
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

That's is what I looking at a long while back and started building a high speed spindle and mound to the quill. I didn't like my build and the quill rocks a bit. Then I wanted a second high speed spindle and quill to mount to the back side of the ram (bport).

It all came down to costs and I don't really do enough of this, but there is also this reason for that.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

maybe look around for a trashed plastic engraving machine (XYZ TRASHED) and rob the spindle from it.

I have also seen folks use air driven dental turbine units....you gotta go with light cuts but at 200,000 rpm....the feed rate adds up quickly...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Yeah there is this johnnyq90 YT channel and he made several tesla turbines and showed it driving a small drill bit. Takes a lot of air so I'd probably need a bigger compressor. Noise can be an issue which is one other reason I want to keep run times low. I just don't want to run that BP head at tilt so long, even though I rebuilt the whole thing.

I'm OK to run scratch engraving all day but it's not as nice and it's limited.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

in reality, the HF motorized spindles are quite the best way to go...but move over the $$$ a bit.

I have customers that cut 2mm internal threads all day with a carbide thread milling tools in TiVaAl alloy at 30,000 RPM + without batting an eye...but they are not quiet...

where there is a will there is a way...and if you cannot find the way then you really are not willing...giggle...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I live in a neighborhood that bans industrial equipment and my neighbor is a lawyer for one of the nation's leading universities. I've been exercising serious will in that regard, but I am also a cheap bastid...
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I built a pulley driven high speed spindle (30,000rpm) from an ER11 collet chuck on a 10mm straight shank and ran it from the main 7000rpm spindle of my machine with a pulley and round polyurethane belt. Once you grasp the concept it's not difficult to design something to suit any machine.